We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

Which Edmonton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Quebec
reviews: 7
Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

I'm considering taking the bus from Edmonton to Jasper. Any opinions?

Calgary, Canada
1. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

I've never taken the greyhound, so I can't provide any opinion on that. It's not that far of a drive (about 350km), so it shouldn't be that bad (unless you're on a local bus that stops at every small town along the way). Via rail also does the Edmonton to Jasper route a few times a week.

How are you planning to get around Jasper? The best scenery is located outside of the town. There are a few shuttles (to Maligne Lake, for example), but a lot of places where you're better off having your own car.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
2. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

Sometimes the Greyhound bus is the only option .... VIA leaves Edmonton quite early in the day (like at 8 or 8:30 am, and only three days a week - which often isn't workable, like if your flight lands later in the day and you don't want to stay over) whereas there are two or three buses per day. The "express" ones are about 1/2 hour quicker than the one that stops at towns along the way.... however, there are not very many towns along the way!

Gatineau, Quebec
3. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

Thanks Jerm and krp for the posts! I would have like to have taken the train but none was scheduled on my return date.

I'm visiting with friends in Jasper who will be showing me the sights. Really looking forward to it!!

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

You're welcome. Have a great time in Jasper!

Edmonton
5. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

Great trip. Take an express bus. That is one that doesn't stop until it reaches Jasper. The buses are clean and the driver is professional. It's a good way to get to Jasper. Once there you can walk to lots of places. There are also tours offered on main street that will take you to special destinations.

Gatineau, Quebec
6. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

Thanks Maggie!

Edmonton
7. Re: Bus from Edmonton to Jasper - advisable?

You are very welcome. Enjoy your stay in Jasper.