We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torquay England
reviews: 2
motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Hi, any advice on what to see and where to stay in mid-August 2005 picking up motorhome in Calgary traveling through Rockies upto MT Robson then maybe back down to Clear water, Revelstoke etc to Calgary. Would like to maybe stop off somewhere mid-way in a nice hotel any advice on campgrounds or hotels would be appreciated. Five of us one a 6 year old.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Hello spraggy,

When I was a kid, my parents, brothers and I spent many vacations (holidays) in a trailer (caravan). This usually involved driving for a day or two to a campground at the ocean or next to a lake, unhitching the trailer, and staying there for the duration of our vacation. In all those years, I can remember only one vacation during which we drove pretty much the whole time. The reason we usually parked in one spot was that it was quite time consuming to get the trailer ready for travel. Everything had to be stowed away and secured so that it would move around in transit. For example, it wouldn't have been possible to leave dishes draining next to the sink or anything like that while we were driving.

Using a trailer gave us another advantage. Once we'd unhitched the trailer from the car, we were free to use the car for driving around, sight seeing, shopping, etc.

I've never travelled in a motor home, but it stands to reason that it would not give you as much freedom as a car-trailer combination would, because you'd be like a tortoise, travelling around in your home, so to speak. When we go to the mountains, we see quite a few motor homes with cars, minivans (people carriers?) or sports utility vehicles being towed behind them. I suspect the reason for this is that, once the occupants of the motor home have settled into their campground, they want the mobility that the extra vehicle will give them.

Another thing I would point out is that, while most of the roads in the Canadian Rockies are wide enough for big motor homes, a few of the side roads that lead to scenic lookout points have tight switch backs the large motor homes cannot negotiate. I'm thinking of the road to Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park and the one that leads to Mt. Edith Cavell and Angel Glacier in Jasper National Park, for example.

Anyway, while you may get good answers to these logistical questions here at TripAdvisor, I know you will get wonderful answers at the Open Roads Forum. It is a website especially for people who travel in recreational vehicles (motor homes, campervans, trailers, etc.). The people who post there know the campgrounds like the backs of their hands.

http://www.rv.net/

Another website where you can get information about different types of recreational vehicles (RVs) is:

http://www.GoRVing.ca/

Hope that helps.

juniper35@gmail.com

Clearwater
2. Re: motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

I'm originally from Calgary and now live in Clearwater.

I always like the route you have chosen and a motorhome is a great way to travel although there are some places you cannot go. All campgrounds in National parks are nice http://www.pc.gc.ca/

However you can only make reservations at Jasper www.pccamping.ca/parkscanada/en/park.cgi?&p=8

In Banff Tunnel Mountain is close to town with services. Two Jack Lake is a little ways out but nice and close to lake Minawanka (no services). I always like Johnson canyon - nice hike too and you can camp.

In Jasper the national park campground has about 600 sites by the townsite (100 with services). August is busy so try to get there early enough. The campsites up the Banff Jasper highway are nice but do not have any services.

Banff to Jasper can take all day as there are so many sites to see. That is one of the most beautiful drives in the world!!!!

Mount Robson is a nice park - good information centre. Pretty view of Mount Robson. It takes about 3.5 hours from JAsper to Clearwater. Wells Gray Park is great. Campgrounds available in the park (check on mosquitos though as they can be badby the park at night) but no services. The many waterfalls are well worth seeing and some super hikes. The KOA is very nice with a swimming pool and laundry facilities www.clearwaterbckoa.com (no mosquitoes). Info on what to see is on the site.

From Clearwater you can go to Revelstoke (4 hours). Stop for a swim in Sicamouse. They have a nice beach just off the highway. In Revelsoke there is Blanket creek Provincial park (no services 22k south)is nice but if you want to stay in town try the Lamplighter Campground or the KOA - has a swimming pool. In Revelstoke every evening they have a little concert in the town square - well worth going to.

If you have time a trip to Halcyon Hot springs and Nakusp is worth it. You can camp or stay there and return back onto the highway the next day.

From Revelstoke I would go to Radium Hot Springs. Nice area - Redstreak is a nice National Park Campground. You can walk 2k along the trail to the hot springs. If full try Dry Gultch (no services) Provincial PArk. There are a few nice private ones also. The hot springs are very nice and they have a cool pool at Radium.

From Radium Drive to Lake Louise in Banff. Stop at the Marble Canyon for a walk and the paint pots.

Visit Lake Louise. You can stay at Castle mountain campground.

Then back to Calgary.

Torquay England
3. Re: motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Thank you so much, don't suppose you have any ideas for a nice hotel to stop off mid-way through our journey.

Canada
reviews: 7
4. Re: motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Hi! When you post on one of the camping or RV sites - you may want to check out the campsite by Margaret Falls on Shuswap (if you have plan to stop there). We were there years ago and the kids loved the walk into the falls. Also stayed at the KOA(?) north of Sicamous - the creek there kept the kids busy for hours at a time.

Camping in BC is great !

Enjoy your trip !

Torquay England
5. Re: motorhome holiday through rockies from calgary

Hi Dimara, Thanks so much for your help I will llok into those stops.