We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from calgary

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Red Deer, Alberta...
reviews: 76
Road trip from calgary

We have 16 days to get from calgary to Vancouver. Thought we might go down south then across to the west coast up to Seattle then to Vancouver. We have 3 kids under 7 who are good travellers, we like the outdoors. Does anyone have advice as to a route or places we should go. At this stage probably going to stay in motels rather then camping. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Road trip from calgary

Hi Michelle ~

What month are you planning your trip? It looks as though you are planning to go through the States for maybe half your time. You may want to ask your American states questions on those specific state forums. As well are you familiar with the Road Trips forum. There are a number of expert road trippers there who could add additional advice to those here. That forum is here, if you are interested:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Depending on the month of travel, I would encourage you to spend 6 nights or so in the Rockies. Although Red Deer is close enough that you might want to downplay the Rockies in favour of spending your time in farther away locations.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
reviews: 28
2. Re: Road trip from calgary

As MuftiMix already says, it would help if you could indicate the time of year that you will be travelling.

Also, since you are sitauted in Red Deer I can see what Mufti is saying, you may want to spend more time in the far off places rather than in the Rockies (since you are already relatively close to places like Jasper and Banff anyways).

Since you mentioned going to Seattle and Vancouver I would suggest that you consider taking some time to explore Vancouver Island which is quite beautiful.

You could also consider excursions to places like Penticton or Salmon Arm along your route.

Edited: 5:26 pm, April 23, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta...
3. Re: Road trip from calgary

Thanks for your reply we are going in August and our final destination is Vancouver island for a week. Probably looking at somewhere other then the Rockies. Thanks for your suggestion

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
4. Re: Road trip from calgary

Hmm, you did say Vancouver in your OP, not Vancouver Island, let alone for a week? Whatever you already know, or tentatively know, please mention. Those who post on the forums can then direct their energy in the right direction.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
reviews: 28
5. Re: Road trip from calgary

Since you already are planning time in the Island I would suggest spending some time in the Okanagan, then travelling to the Salmon Arm/Sicamous area to spend some time along the Shuswap.

Red Deer, Alberta...
6. Re: Road trip from calgary

Thanks for your help, a bit of an oversight to miss that we were going to Vancouver island, I was just thinking about the bit we need to figure out. I will have a look into your suggestions, thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
7. Re: Road trip from calgary

HI Michelle,

Firstly, as you are crossing several jurisdictions, I would also post in the Road Trips forums. Several of the regulars there have done multiple trips through western US and Canada and can recommend options to you.

From your OP, it looks like you are interested in spending your 16 days in the US, and then heading to VI for a week, so you might get some good ideas in the Washington, Idaho and Oregon forums.

As you are heading to VI, have you considered getting a ferry from Washington State rather than coming through Vancouver? You could spend a few days in Olympic National Park (general advice seems to be at least 3 days around there) and then you can get a ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles.

Another question I have is how much driving do you like to do in a day? With kids, I try to limit us to about 6 hours a day, and not every day. So perhaps a long day of driving followed by two or three nights in a single spot touring around before moving to the next destination.

With 16 days, you could get as far south as Yellowstone before turning for the coast. That would be an amazing destination with the kids. But I do know accommodation through there is limited, so you'd need to see if you could still book anything for this year.

Other places to look at are Leavenworth, WA and the Lake Chelan area. Happy planning!

8. Re: Road trip from calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 26, 2014