We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 12
Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

Hello,

My family and I were looking at going to Banff in September to hike and explore. Things have changed and now the time we have available for vacation is in May. Is the weather too sketchy that time of year for what we'd like to do? We are not looking to camp; we'd be staying in lodges. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Alicia

Toronto
1. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

You might wanna ask on the Banff National Park forum, there's not too much hiking in Calgary. tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154910-i220-Banff_…

edmonton
reviews: 42
2. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

lower elevations should be fine. in general, may is still pretty frozen at higher elevations and the lakes. moraine lake road might not be open. nights will be cool.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
3. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

Just to set the record straight, there's quite a bit of hiking in Calgary - there are hiking / walking / cycling paths and unpaved trails in Fish Creek Provincial Park, Nose Hill Park, North Glenmore Park, South Glenmore Park, the Weaselhead, the Bow River, Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, the Elbow River, Edworthy Park and the Douglas Fir Trail, Bowness Park. 30 years ago, I spent a whole day walking from the university in the NW corner of the city to the SE edge of the city, most of which was on park pathways, and the pathway system has been much expanded since then. You could spend a full day just hiking from one end of Fish Creek Provincial Park to the other.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
reviews: 24
4. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

...and many Calgarians do know a lot about hiking......we live very close to the Rockies after all.....

Of course feel free to post on the Canadian Rockies or Banff forums, but do not be discuraged about posting on the Calgary one as well.

Just to add to CW's comments, don't forget the trails in Edworthy Park too. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edworthy_Park

Edited: 4:01 pm, February 28, 2013
5. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, February 28, 2013
Toronto
6. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

Woah sorry, I didn't mean to touch any nerves about trails within Calgary, I'm sure they're very nice. By the same token though, you could spend a lovely day hiking in the Rouge Valley without leaving the municipal boundaries of Toronto, but if someone posted in the Toronto forum about hiking in Bruce Peninsula National Park I'd redirect them to the Tobermory forum. And I wouldn't suggest Toronto as a destination for someone trying to focus on hiking. (Don't be fooled by the Rouge's upcoming national park status, it is NOT at that level. And I say that as someone who practically grew up hiking its cliffs and riverbanks.)

In this case the right people found the thread so I guess it didn't matter.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
7. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

Not to worry, Tweedwolf, it just seemed like a fun subject that we don't often discuss. Because why hike in Calgary when you can hike in K-Country or Banff?

If I recall correctly, post #5 was spam.

8. Re: Is May too snowy for hiking in Banff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 02, 2014