We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
switzerland
reviews: 24
Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

Hi Calgary Experts,

I will be in Calgary with my husband and 3 boys (12,10 and 9) on July 6th and 7th this summer.

It says that Sunday the 7th is Family Day at the Stampede. Could you tell me what to expect specifically on that day?

Could you also tell me what the Indian village is like? What would you say would be the most fun activities on that day for my boys?

We will want to buy hats and boots and shirts to wear and to have as souvenirs. Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Reb

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
reviews: 28
1. Re: Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

This should give you an idea of what family day is like at the Stampede, but the website indicates that family day is on July 8th, 2013 (not July 7th): …calgarystampede.com/info/…value-days.html

The Indian Village is interesting, and they have teepees and stuff set up there, so your boys would probably like to see that. I think it's worthwhile seeing it if you have not been to it before.

As for the Stampede, there are lots of things to see and do on the grounds. There are the midway rides, games, food, the Coca Cola stage and Nashville North, agriculture stuff, the rodeo & gransdstand show, etc.,etc.,etc. So it really depends on what you are most interested in but there are definitely lots of things to see and do at the Stampede.

If you want to buy hats, boots & western wear I would suggest trying Llamlee's which is Western Wear store: http://www.lammles.com/index.php

Edited: 4:40 pm, January 22, 2013
Calgary
reviews: 19
2. Re: Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

Riley & McCormick http://www.realcowboys.com/store/index.php is always a good choice for shirts and hats, they're located in the downtown area on Stephen Avenue. As far as boots go...I would say that Alberta Boot is THE place to buy boots. http://www.albertaboot.com/ Their service is impressive, and they'll take the time to make sure that you get the right fit and the right boot.

switzerland
reviews: 24
3. Re: Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

Thanks for your response! That was quick. I looked at the link you provided and all of the dates listed are still for 2012. I guess they haven't updated it yet even though on the left side of the page it says 2013.

Edited: 5:02 pm, January 22, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
4. Re: Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

Last year, the Stampede's "Deals and Days" page wasn't updated for 2012 until May or June, I think. But the basic structure is almost always the same: first Sunday is Family Day, Tuesday is seniors, etc.

By all means, buy hats and shirts and boots as souvenirs. When I got my cowboy boots at Alberta Boot many years ago, they warned me not to wear them for the first time on the Stampede grounds. You do a lot of walking when you visit the Stampede, so you want to do it in your most comfortable footwear. The Alberta Boot folks recommended wearing my new boots indoors at home for about a week or so, to break them in first. If they get uncomfortable at home, you can take them off at any time to give your feet a break. I followed their suggestions and was able to wear my new boots all through Stampede Week.

I recommend straw cowboy hats over felt ones; straw is much cooler in summer. You can get a clear plastic rain cover for your cowboy hat if necessary. Felt cowboy hats won't get damaged if they get wet in the rain, but they can lose their shape if they get warm and moist, so a rain cover is useful for them as well.

The Indian Village is a camp of about 20 teepees at the south end of the Stampede grounds, next to the Elbow River. Most of the people participating in the Indian Village camp there overnight, so the location is designed to be away from the noisiest parts of the grounds. Only a few teepees are open to the public each day, and they are clearly marked with "open" signs. The rest are private, so please respect the "closed" signs on their door flaps. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it is an ongoing problem.)

The folks who are letting guests into their tipis are happy to answer questions, but keep in mind that these are real 21st century people who are sharing their traditional culture with you.

There are many activities scheduled for the Indian Village. In the past, I've found that they may not start exactly on time. so don't be disappointed if you have to wait a while for dancing or other events to begin. Put yourself in a small-town frame of mind; things will happen when everyone's ready, there's no point in starting any earlier. Bring a snack, stake out a good spot to watch, and enjoy the chance to rest your feet and chat if you have to wait. If you're asked to participate (for example, in a round dance), don't be shy, accept the invitation.

Check out CBC's Trailbreakers podcasts to get an idea of what First Nations life is like today: http://www.cbc.ca/trailbreakers/

For more info about the Stampede, check out the TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "Calgary Stampede for First-Time Visitors":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

5. Re: Calgary Stampede Family Day, what can I expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 24, 2014