We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Hello,

We are planning a trip (14 days) from Calgary to Vancouver at the end of June-begining of July with our three children (aged 10, 8 and 5).

We have rented an RV and are looking for a good balance between nature, hiking and activities for children (we do not want to drive too much every day because they probably wouldn't appreciate it!)

Our route would pass through Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, then down to the Okanagan Valley (Revelstoke, Kelowna) to Vancouver.

Any advice? Do you know of nice places to go with children, animal watching, swimming spots, etc?

Thanks!!

Laetitia

Montreal, Canada
11. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Hello,

Yes our trip was WONDERFUL! Our only bad luck is that we arrived at the end of June, right during the floodings at Calgary! We had to change our plans for the first days because the road to Banff was closed. That wasn't so bad in the end because we went to Drumheller and the kids loved the dinosaurs and the hoodies. We then went straight to Jasper and took the Icefields Parkway the other way around (North to South). The mountains are really incredible, we couldn't stop taking pictures, and we loved travelling with an RV because the children can read or draw while we drive and it's like camping with woodfire etc. except more cosy. In all national parks the children receive a booklet to complete on the animals they see (we saw bears twice) and the things they learn about nature, which was great. We then went to the Okanagan Valley. It was very hot there, we swam daily in the lakes and after hiking in the mountains it was nice going to the beach. We stayed at a great camping (Okanagan Lake North Provincial Park) which we would really recommend. We then left our RV at Vancouver, stayed 3 days on Vancouver Island (we loved Victoria but Sooke and its surroundings not that much) and ended our trip with 3 days in Vancouver which we absolutely love! This was really a wonderful vacation to do with the children: nature, beautiful scenery, plenty of activities... just a bit expensive but it was worth it! If you need any more specific tips, let me know!

Canada
reviews: 17
12. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Would love to hear specific activities you did in each place and if they were a hit or miss!

Canada
13. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Even places you took breaks along the way would be helpful. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
14. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Beach724 ~

If you are planning a trip like this, you might like to find the Trip Reports in the Top Questions of the Canadian Rockies forum. The link to open is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

This is but one trip to look at. In the Trip Reports you will find tens of TRs all with very helpful information about routes taken, activities done and breaks taken. But what will help you the most, I think, is to post your own new question, but on the same Canadian Rockies Forum, linked above. Let us know time of year, how many weeks, places you plan to visit, what you are interested in doing and seeing, the make up of your party, where you plan to arrive and depart from, whether you want to rent a car or not.

It's possible you are still in the early planning stages, but that kind of info will help the local posters a lot.

Canada
15. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Hi!

Thanks for the info. I have done all of that and just trying to get more ideas that I may have missed. When it is closer to date I will be asking lots of questions about our itinerary!

16. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 09, 2014