We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Hello,

We are planning a trip (14 days) from Calgary to Vancouver at the end of June-begining of July with our three children (aged 10, 8 and 5).

We have rented an RV and are looking for a good balance between nature, hiking and activities for children (we do not want to drive too much every day because they probably wouldn't appreciate it!)

Our route would pass through Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, then down to the Okanagan Valley (Revelstoke, Kelowna) to Vancouver.

Any advice? Do you know of nice places to go with children, animal watching, swimming spots, etc?

Thanks!!

Laetitia

15 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Here are two suggestiongs for here in Jasper National Park.

Take your kids for a short drive to Pyramid Island. It's only 10 km from the townsite and there are often deer, elk or bears sighted as you drive along the road up to the lake. Park near the end of the road, a bit past Pyramid Lake Lodge, and go down the ramps and across the bridge to the island. (Show your kids the deer hoof prints in the cement on the ramps.) It's a short walk to the end of the island, and a great place for kids to be "in the woods", logs to balance on etc. The view of Pyramid Mountain from the end of the island is really nice.

Lake Annette, located off the road to Jasper Park Lodge, is a fun place for kids. It's a really shallow lake with a nice sandy beach. It might still be a bit on the "invigorating" side for swimming in early July, but that doesn't usually stop kids on a warm day. There are picnic sites, changerooms and toilets, a big open space for running and playing, and a nice playground.

If you are in Jasper for Canada Day, there are lots of activities on all day: www.jaspercanadaday.com

Montreal, Canada
2. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Great suggestions krp329, we'll certainly go there! Thanks!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
3. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

This TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "Banff - Family Travel", will give some ideas for Banff:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-s401/Banff:Al…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
4. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

If you're in Penticton, your kids might like Loco Landing.

Montreal, Canada
5. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Thanks for this infomation! I've started reading a bit and our approximate route should be as follows:

- land in Alberta,

- 3 nights near Banff or Lake Louise ( visits such as Johnston Canyon, Lake Minnewanka Loop, Sulphur Mountain Gondola, Yoho National Park, Lake Moraine, Lake Louise);

- 3 nights near Jasper with a stop at the Columbia Icefields on the way (Jasper National Park, Lake Maligne and Spirit Island, Peyto Lake, Sunwapta Falls and canyon, Medecine Lake, Whistler Mountain, Lake Annette and Pyramid Island)

- 1 night near Revelstoke (perhaps Glacier National Park or Mount Revelstoke National Park if kids not sick of all this sightseeing ;-))? mAYBE the Enchanted Forest)

- then I am not sure wether we should go directly to Kelowna or take the longer way by Nelson?

- 3 nights near Kelowna (any idea of a quiet town to stay?) (fruit picking (if any left in June?), vineyards, Okanagan Lake, Loco Landing in Penticton)

- 2 nights in Lilloet (Fraser Canyon, rafting)

-then, to reach Vancouver, I wonder IF it would be best to follow Road 99 via Whistler or Road 12 via Hope ? What would you suggest?

- 3 days in Vancouver

- 3 days in Vancouver Island

Thanks for your help! We are looking forward to visting this wonderful region!

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Are you picking up the RV in Airdrie(Fraserway), by any chance? I ask, because it's only about 110km. to Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum and I'm sure your kids(and you) will love that.

And even from Calgary it's only 135km. I know it's out of your way a bit, but still, maybe something to consider.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
7. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

I'm not sure your new itinerary works out to the 14 nights you have. By my maths, I am counting 18 nights

On your Jasper to Revelstoke, I assume you will come down the Icefields Parkway again and turn west on Hwy 1. That will be a bit of a trek to go all the way to Revy. About 5.5 hours if you don't stop anywhere along the IP, and I'm sure you will want to. So you could just plan on that being a long day or you could consider overnighting at Golden.

I would vote to give Whistler a miss seeing as you will have been in the Rockies.

Montreal, Canada
8. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Thanks for your advice Muftimixandmatch.

We will do 14 days with the RV, then drop it at Vancouver where we'll stay 2 nights as well as 2 nights at Victoria (= 18 nights indeed)

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 65
9. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Planning a very similar route to yours -- assuming that you have now completed your tour -- is there any post trip advice you can give ?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
10. Re: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children

Yes please - a trip report would be wonderful!

Hi Simon, and welcome to the TA forums! You can find two collections of trip reports that will help you in your planning - one is linked from the "Top Questions" section (top right of your computer monitor) of the Canadian Rockies forum page, and the other linked from the TQs on the British Columbia forum page.

Reply to: From Calgary to Vancouver with an RV and 3 children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted