We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadream RV - Take A LOT of photos before you leave the lot

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 1
Canadream RV - Take A LOT of photos before you leave the lot

Just going through some old receipts and was forced to recall our unpleasant experience with a Canadream RV rental this summer. While we enjoyed the trip and had no problems with the vehicle at the time, we were forced to pay more than 25% on top of our original rental for a peeling piece of vinyl trim on the side of the RV when we dropped it off.

The inspectors when you return the vehicle will go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for every rock chip and scuff they can possibly spot, hoping to charge you for it. (Fortunately, the rock chips on the paneling were already documented in their system, no doubt paid for by some other unfortunate tourists.) If you choose to rent from this company, assume that they will find something to charge you for on the other end and add 25-50% to the cost in your mind before you head out. Take as many photos or even a video of every aspect of the RV inside and out, above and below, before you leave the lot. We had no way to prove we didn't cause this piece of plastic to start peeling off and as a result got dinged for more than $250 for a piece of plastic and some glue.

The people who gave us the keys had a "don't worry about it" "we don't look at every little thing" approach, and as soon as we brought it back we had two inspectors spend 20 minutes pointing out every ding and dent and looking it up on their computer to see if it was already logged (the chips I'm referring to were each about 2mm-5mm in size - it was completely absurd).

We have rented cars several times since this experience and this business does not operate the same way. I really had the impression they were trying to make money on the other end and not just recover money for real damages to their property. I feel sorry for the European tourists who end up in this situation and I am certain that if the bulk of customers who rented these vehicles were local, this company would have been out of business long ago.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: Canadream RV - Take A LOT of photos before you leave the lot

Thanks for sharing your experience, Sean!

Those considering RV rentals of any sort may find this TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "RV (Motorhome) Rentals for the Rockies":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular questions on the forums.

I'll be sure to add your comments to the section at the end which links various forum discussions about the different companies.

2. Re: Canadream RV - Take A LOT of photos before you leave the lot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 27, 2013