We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exerience with: Canadream

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woudsend, The...
reviews: 1
Exerience with: Canadream

To keep other travelers from making the same mistake:

We've rented an RV from Canadream this month for 3 weeks.

We were very dissapointed:

First when we came we found out that they had made a mistake in their system so we got downgraded from an A-class RV to the smallest B-class they had available. Nothing was done to soothe the situation instead we got the comment: "you young people are so picky and stressfull, these days".

Of course they new they had us grid-locked so we had to agree on the smaller RV getting the price difference of Ca$ 7 a day compensated.

After the first night we had to go to a big Outfitter to get thick thermarest mattresses to put under the RV's, that's how bad the matresses were.

Halfway down the trip the van's battery died on us and they tried to have us make a detour of over 300km's to have it fixed at one of their bases in stead of the first available service station. Of course we did not agree and and got compensated for the amount spent.

They might have meant well but it certainly din not come across as if they did with us. They are not in the business to give tourists a stressfree holiday but for their own benefits, or so it seems.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 7
1. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

sorry about your experience, and the dismissal of your concerns - it was fully inappropriate - was your trip goo regardless?

Woudsend, The...
2. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

Alberta and BC are so nice!! People are friendly an up for a chat. Landscapes are astonishing and wildlife abundant. We are thinking of emigrating twds BC!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 9
3. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

Sorry to hear your story, but we made the same bad experience with Canadream.

We rented a TruckCamper for a Trans-Canada-Tour and phoned in advanced what kind of car we can expect. They told us that a brand new unit is already prepared and waiting for us.

When we arrived and arranged our pick-up from the hotel they told us that our camper was not prepared yet and we can get it in the afternoon.

We got a brand new truck with an ancient TC. The unit was just assembled and during inspection we mentioned flat tires(!) on the truck. They told us that everything was fine with the truck as it was brand new. After we insisted in a pressure check they saw that all four tires were actually missing lots of air...

Getting suspicious we asked about the propane, as the TC has bottles and no meter to check. They told us that they just refilled them.

Two (!) days later we stopped on an unserviced campsite and wanted to start cooking - surprise - the propane was empty! None of the two bottles had any propane left. We had to leave the campsite, buy an electrical heater for the night as it was dark already and you can not get a propane refill while it is dark. Not to mention that we had to chose and pay a second campground for the night as we needed a power hookup for the heater.

Half way on our route we had to stop in Toronto to get our TC 'remouted' as it started sliding from our truck. They just commented 'they did a very bad job in Halifax...'.

Arriving in Calgary we complained about the whole thing. They payed the electrical heater and that was all...

Never again Canadream - it is the worst rental company ever.

Edited: 7:53 pm, July 19, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
4. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

Thank you for sharing your experiences - I see a lot of Canadream units on the road here, so it's very useful to get some feedback. And TA's policies currently don't allow for reviews of RV rentals.

To check if your propane tank is full (because you're paying for the propane and it's not cheap anymore), remove it and feel the weight. If necessary, You can do this under the pretext of practicing so you know how to do that when you need to get it refilled on your trip - it's illegal in Alberta to refuel a propane tank while it is mounted on an RV or inside a vehicle, and propane vendors usually take this pretty seriously. Most propane tanks are 20 lbs or 30 lbs when full (depending on the tank size, of course), and considerably less when empty. I realize that hindsight is 20-20, but perhaps your experience will help others to avoid similar problems when accepting their rental unit.

I would also encourage anyone planning to rent an RV to read this TripAdvisor Traveller Article; it has tips for the folks who are experienced with RVing and for those who are doing it to the first time:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
5. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

I should also add that I have just updated that Traveller Article, Grumpybears, so hopefully many more TA members will benefit from you sharing your experiences here.

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

We had a similar experience with Canadream; we rented an RV for 10 days in June/July 2010. There are two main problems, that I shall outline clearly:

1. Pick-up - it says between 1pm and 4pm for pickup, however this is not for us (the customer) but for them (Canadream). Meaning that it will be ready between 1 and 4, and if it's not then you have to wait. This was not my understanding when booking, and I don't think it is anyone elses. If we lived in Calgary, I could understand, but flying in from Ottawa on the only flight before they close meant we got in at 9.30am and didn't get it till 5.30pm (with two young kids, this was almost unbearable).

2. Customer Service - it seems all the Calgary staff are German, bar a few summer workers it seems. They were quite rude, obstructive, and certainly have no concept of dealing with customers in a positive way.

Our experience was driven by the fact that we got into the airport at 9.30am, called were told our RV was almost ready and that we could possibly have an early pickup (we were prepared to wait until 1pm) and then collected at 11 (collection is actually great, the best I have seen actually). When we got in we were told that the van we were supposed to have was not here and that the person was returning it late (OK, so give us another one). This concept that an RV is late and we have to wait for them was bizarre, especially given that they have perhaps 50-60 RV's just sitting on their lot.

Anyway, they told us to go to a shopping centre and wait, and it would be ready by 2pm; but they would call us. By the time they called it was 4.30pm and it still wasn't really ready. They offered no compensation, and in fact when my wife complained we had been waiting for hours with 2 kids, the lady just replied "well I have 2 kids and I am working an hour late tonight" (yeah, ok and this is relevant how?).

The RV itself was fine (except for a sticky door); but I would avoid them in future because their customer service just plain sucked. Not only are they late, they really just don't care about you what-so-ever - we wasted 1 day of vacation, when we wanted to be out on the road, we were stuck in a shopping mall. If they were more clear on their pickup policy, we could have planned around it.

So, President of Canadream, if you are reading this: my advice is fire all your staff in the Calagary branch, and replace them with real people.

Calgary, Canada
7. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

I recently rent here too, and had an awful experience. I booked a truck and camper and arrived only to find out they were out of truck and campers for 2 days, so they put me into a hotel while i had to wait for 2 days for a truck and camper. I was only there 5 days and 2 were spent waiting in a hotel room. I overheard some employees talking saying that this happens all the time. Apparently they know they will be out of veichles, yet they book anyways and plan to put you into a hotel room. Then when i got my veichle the sheets were dirty and so was the dishes. I don't think they were washed!!! I showed them this and they just brushed it off like it was nothing, nad i asked for new sheets and they said they had no more. I was so angry that they could care less about any of the customers. We are just dollars signs to them. I just want everyone to know what your canadream experience will be. I will never go back ever again!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
reviews: 24
8. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

Sorry to hear all the bad experiences with Canadream...wow! I had no idea.

Edited: 5:51 pm, July 23, 2010
Calgary, AB
reviews: 16
9. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

I'm sorry to read about everyone's problems with Canadream. I'm kinda surprised because I've rented with them four times now (from Vancouver, Calgary, Whitehorse and Toronto) and I've never had any problems at all. Anytime I've gone in to pick up my vehicle everyone has been really friendly and the oldest vehicle I got was four years old but it was in really good condition. When I was there this year I noticed that most of their vehicles look quite new - one of the staff said they'd bought a lot of new vehicles this year. I guess that every company has some hiccups at some time but, from my experience, CanaDream seems to be a good company to deal with.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
reviews: 63
10. Re: Exerience with: Canadream

I'm really astonished to hear all of the negative reviews about Canadream. I see so many of their units on the road every week during my commute to work, it's hard to believe they could still be in business with so many bad experiences.