We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term parking

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Fork, ID
Long term parking

I need a place to park a car from about 16-30 September. I will be flying out to Whitehorse and am trying to save a little from the airport long term parking fees. Any ideas?

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Long term parking

Park & Jet, which provides a complimentary shuttle to the airport complex, charges 7.50 CAD per day. That would cost 105 CAD for 14 days. I don't know a cheaper option.

There are some public parking lots in the Centre Street North and 16th Avenue NW areas that charge 60 CAD per month. However, they are unmanned. This presents a few problems:

(1) A car that stayed in the same spot for two weeks might attract the wrong kind of attention. Calgary has a pretty low crime rate, but I think you might be tempting fate by leaving a vehicle parked in an unmanned parking lot for two weeks. I don't know how much hub caps cost, but replacing them might make Park & Jet's rate seem reasonable after all.

(2) Paying for long term use of a public parking lot would be a nuisance. If you were parking for a day, you could put coins in a meter. However, I've never tried putting 60 CAD worth of coins into a parking meter. Your other option would be to go to the Calgary Parking Authority Office at 620 - 9 Avenue SW. and buy a Smart Pay card. But Smart Pay cards come only in units of 100 CAD.

(3) You'd need to catch a cab from one of these parking lots to the airport and back again. I believe it would cost you at least 20 CAD each way. The 60 CAD parking fee plus at least 40 CAD for cabs would be you up into Park & Jet's price range for 14 days.

If you park your car in the parking lot of a shopping centre or on a suburban street, you'll run into the previously mentioned challenges (attracting the attention of potential thieves and requiring a cab to get to and from the airport). In addition to that, if a business or resident calls the City of Calgary and complains about a vehicle that has been parked in the same spot for more than 72 hours, your vehicle may be impounded and you may need to pay 160 CAD to get it back again.

I'm sorry that I don't know of an option that is cheaper than Park & Jet and that is feasible.

Edmonton, AB
reviews: 11
2. Re: Long term parking

If you are staying overnight in Calgary before you depart, you might look at the deals that some of the airport area hotels offer.

For example, the Executive Royal Inn has a "Cars Stay Free" promotion geared towards airport travellers. For as low as $94 you get a room for 1 night plus 7 days free parking. I don't know what they would charge you for the extra 7 days, but it might be worth looking into.