We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat??

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
reviews: 2
Where to eat??

A simple question but one we have had trouble finding good answers for...

We are considering a four day trip out the LL, maybe with a pair of teens, and we will not be able to afford having all of our meals at the Fairmont.

What's good and affordable around? We will have a car so if we need to drive a bit, so be it.

In a perfect world there would be a Subway or a Harvey's nearby but I guess that would be a little too lucky in such an idyllic locale.

Any and all suggestions will be graciously received.

8 replies to this topic
Holland
reviews: 3
1. Re: Where to eat??

The Hostel in Lake Louise has a really good restaurant and you wouldn't expect but it has a really nice atmosphere as well. There is not much seating, in summer people had to wait for quite a while.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 66
2. Re: Where to eat??

Yeahhh, it's a tiny hamlet, and there really isn't much choice. I take it you've checked out the reviews, right?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g154912-Lake_Lou…

Your best bets at the informal / budget end might be Bill Peyto's Cafe (in the hostel) and Laggan's Bakery. Both tend to get busy, both need more seating.

No fast food chains that I'm aware of in Lake Louise. Of course Banff will have lots more choice, but at the cost of a drive.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
3. Re: Where to eat??

Laggans is not inexpensive though. Last autumn, on our way past Lake Louise, we stopped there and got two sandwiches, two cookies, and two coffees to go, to eat up on a bench at the lake... $24 (And a sneaky Clark's Nutcracker swooped in from behind us, and stole half my cookie right out of my hand, just as I was about to take a bite out of it!)

Banff is 45 minute's drive away, and has a full complement of fast food restaurants, as well as some nifty places that are not chains.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 72
4. Re: Where to eat??

There is a small grocery store in the village of Lake Louise. Perhaps you could trim your food budget by getting stuff for breakfast and lunches there.

Of course, you could save quite a bit of money by staying at a different hotel in Lake Louise, or by doing one night at the Chateau for the experience, then your other three nights at a less expensive hotel.

British Columbia...
reviews: 18
5. Re: Where to eat??

I second the Hostel, I nearly died when my friends suggested it but I was more than surprised excellent lunch very reasonably priced.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
6. Re: Where to eat??

I've also eaten at the hostel and would recommend it.

There's also good food at the Deer Lodge - not in the dining room, but the bar/informal menu. It's not cheap, but not as expensive as the Chateau. Good burgers, as well nice soups. I don't think they serve lunch, so it's a dinner only option.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
7. Re: Where to eat??

I've eaten a couple of times in The Mountain Restaurant next to the gas station in the village. Not as cheap as fast food, but for Lake Louise, I guess the price was OK. I think a big burger was about $14. We ended up spending about $45 last time for dinner for two including tax and tip.

For the nights when budget is less of a consideration, my favourite is the Fairview Dining Room at the Chateau and The Station restaurant on the railway.

While Lake Louise is expensive, we were able to keep costs down a bit by bringing in some groceries that we bought from Sobeys before leaving Calgary to have the occasional breakfast in the room or make a sandwich for lunch. It's usually the first stop we make after getting our rental car. We try to pack a number of cereal bars which keep nicely in a suitcase and you will have some limited space in the bar fridge in the rooms at the Chateau Lake Louise to keep a small amount of food that needs to be kept cool.

And, while you could pick a cheaper hotel, the Chateau Lake Louise is one of my favourite places to stay anywhere. I think staying there in a lakeview suite really adds to the experience.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
8. Re: Where to eat??

I stay at LL monthly and have tried all the restaraunts. The two most reasonable places are actually the hostel as mentioned and the pub at the Lake Louise Inn.l Explorers lounge is downstairs and reasonable by LL standards. The mtn restaraunt I've found to be iffy. Some entres good but others much more expensive and they are often out of entree choices.

Reply to: Where to eat??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted