We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo,CA
reviews: 13
Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

Hi,

We will be in Lake Louise at the end of June. We have a daily rate of $243.00 for a Fairmont room in the Paradise Lodge which includes 2 gondola passes.

I have recently seen specials for the Fairmont Chateau which would make it approximately the same amount (although it does not include any breakfast and parking is $25-$35, I believe.)

Of course, I have heard that the Fairmont is incredible, but we would only be in a standard room, which I believes overlooks the parking lot.

Any opinions on which lodging would be preferable?

Thanks!

Jeri

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

The main attraction, then, would be that at the Chateau Lake Louise, you are located right next to Lake Louise. You may just have a standard room, you may not have a view, but it's only a few steps from your room to the shores of Lake Louise - you can watch the sun rise, enjoy the lake before the throngs arrive in mid-morning, and then enjoy the lake after the throngs leave in mid-afterrnoon and see the sun set.

Connecticut
reviews: 32
2. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

"We will be in Lake Louise at the end of June. We have a daily rate of $243.00 for a Fairmont room in the Paradise Lodge which includes 2 gondola passes."

The "Fairmont" room is the standard room at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We're going to be staying there in September, and frankly I don't expect to spend much daytime in our room. As Country_Wife wrote, the hotel is immediately adjacent to the lake; see the photos on its Web site. That affords you wonderful access as a guest. You'll have to weigh the importance of proximity vs. parking, breakfast, cost.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
3. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

I think the OP means to refer to a "Fairview" room at Paradise Lodge.

I also think it's almost impossible to express an opinion on which would be preferable. This is the ultimate apples to oranges. The Chateau is a huge luxury hotel on the shores of Lake Louise. It has all the pros and cons of a huge luxury hotel. Paradise is a small, family-run lodge with beautiful rooms and cabins, some with lovely views of the valley. But it does not give you those special evening hours at the Lake -- unless, of course, you go up to the Chateau for dinner.

Edited: 12:21 pm, May 29, 2010
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

Paradise Bungalows are not far from Lake Louise - maybe about 1 km (about a fifteen minute walk, or a minute or two to drive). If you were planning to go to the Lake Louise gondola anyway, Paradise Bungalows works out to be quite a bit less expensive, once you factor in parking at the Chateau and buying breakfast and the gondola passes yourself. (And don't forget that all hotels have additional taxes, over and above the quoted nightly rate, totalling a minimum of 9% - 5% GST, 4% Alberta Tourism Levy, and the 2% local tourism tax). As to breakfast, food services at the Fairmonts tend to be really good - but quite pricey. The Fairview rooms at Paradise Bungalows have kitchens, so if you are trying to save money, you can also self-cater your meals.

I agree with Banff - comparing these two properties is definitely "apples and oranges" and aside from giving you information about both, it's impossible to make a recommendation either way, not knowing your preferences. The Chateau is a big corporate hotel with hundreds of rooms and the premium location; Paradise Lodge is much smaller, family owned, and a different style of accommodation.

Edited: 1:55 pm, May 29, 2010
Mission Viejo,CA
reviews: 13
5. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies.

Yes, I meant the Fairview room. We are booked there, and have the gondola passes included, and I believe the room includes at least a light breakfast, if not a kitchenette.

I just saw the 3rd night free special for the Fairmont, and well, the Chateau looks like a fairy tale probably for a good reason-the gorgeous location!

Have to seriously discuss the pros and cons with my hubby. If not staying there, then definitely visiting there!

Thank you again,

Jeri

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
6. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

BTW, "Fairview" is the name of a nearby mountain, not necessarily an attribute of a room of the same name.

It's the smaller mountain on your left as you approach the lake. There's a trail to the top, and you could say there's a "Fairview" from there.

Edited: 3:44 pm, May 30, 2010
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
7. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

Paradise Lodge and Bungalows is a lovely, rustic property and most units have quite a generous amount of space. Some of the units have the most amazing views of the Bow Valley and the property is surrounded by lots of green space. It's only a short stoll to Lake Louise - about 15 minutes of easy walking.

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is a luxury hotel located on the shores of Lake Louise. Both properties are great place to relax, walk, enjoy nature and do as much or as little as you like.

banfflakelouise

8. Re: Paradise Lodge vs Fairmont Chateau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 05, 2010