We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 51
1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

wife and i are planning our fall vacation; we'd like to spend time in Glacier/Lake Louise/Jasper/Banff

i know weather can change quickly; is the 1st 1-2 wks in september too late to enjoy nice weather for hiking, biking, etc?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

2nd question (just thought i'd throw this in): i was planning on flying into Kalispell, renting our car there, staying in Glacier and then head north to Lake Louise etc, and fly out of Calgary. Would folks recommend doing that, or would it be simpler to fly into and out of Calgary (knowing there would of course be more driving)

any info would be greatly appreicated!

joe

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
1. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

Hi Joe;

Effective June 1st 2009, you will require one of the following to cross the border by LAND.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

If flying into or out of the US you MUST have a passport.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

If you do decide to rent a car in the US;

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Best Regards

san francisco
reviews: 51
2. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

thanks very much for the info

joe

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 76
3. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

Hi Joe - the first half of September is often some of the nicest weather of the year - sunny in the day, crisp and cool at night. If we do get snow, it won't stay. I think you'll enjoy your visit.

Depending on how long you have for your vacation, you may want to consider doing either Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper OR Waterton/Glacier. If you put Glacier in the search box for the Banff National Park Forums, you will come across lots of discussion on this point. Basically, it's a day of driving from Glacier to Banff, another day of driving to go back - so if you only have a week, it's better to pick one area or the other.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
4. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

No, it's not too late - imo, the first three weeks of September is one of the best times of the year for hiking!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 17
5. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

I do not think that you would be able to get a one-way rental from Kalispell to Calgary. The Rental companies are all franchise and not company owned.

6. Re: 1st week in Sept too late for Lake Louise/Jasper/Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, October 19, 2009