We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski April 2009?

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
reviews: 84
Ski April 2009?

we are planning a ski trip at Easter - April 2009. Is that too late in the ski season? We are both fairly novice skiers havign only been skiing for a week in 2008.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
1. Re: Ski April 2009?

No easter isn't too late. Typically around this time of year you'll be able to enjoy both a warmer climate and great spring skiing. There are three ski resorts you'll be able to choose from up to three ski hills... Norquay generally closes earlier, last year they closed April 13th but since Sunshine Village and Lake Louise Mountain are at higher elevation the snow lasts much longer....in particular Sunshine, they are famous for an end of the season event known as "Slush-Cup" in May!

If your novices, it's a great time, since I assume you're not scouting out powder?! Even if you were, you might get lucky with a spring snow fall, which is not uncommon.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
2. Re: Ski April 2009?

If conditions permit and Norquay is open... I strongly suggest taking advantage of their "by the hour skiing" --- since they are so close to town(15 , min drive) you could head up for a couple hours in the morning then relax in the afternoon.

BanffLakeLouise

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
reviews: 84
3. Re: Ski April 2009?

thank you for your advice - think we might book from 5-12th April 09 and hope for the best.

kelayna
reviews: 3
4. Re: Ski April 2009?

I'm also heading to the Canadian Rockies in April. We won't be heading over there until April 10th - 17th (from VA Beach). I emailed several people from the surrounding resorts and they all said spring skiing is great in April! Good luck to you and have a great ski vacation!

Edmonton
reviews: 4
5. Re: Ski April 2009?

I'd probably skip Norquay, but Sunshine and Lake Louise are both good. Lake Louise generally has snow a little longer than Sunshine does, but it depends on the season.

Edmonton
reviews: 7
6. Re: Ski April 2009?

In my experience, I've found that Sunshine holds its snow longer than LL and is open longer. Sunshine is at a higher elevation

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
7. Re: Ski April 2009?

Sunshine usually stays open well into May, while LL closes late in April.

8. Re: Ski April 2009?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 01, 2009