We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Lake Louise advice

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
reviews: 1
Some Lake Louise advice

Ok, so my girlfriend and I are going to Lake Louise for like 7 days. We were planning on staying at the fairmont for like 5 days and then camping for two.

Any suggests on where to camp...my girlfriend wont camp unless there is a shower and a "nicer" bathroom...

Also, what should we do while there, we are both 22 years old...like active stuff...

Calgary, Canada
1. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

This site lists all the campgrounds in Banff NP and their facilities:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit9_E.asp

If you plan to camp in Lake Louise, then your only choice is the Lake Louise campground, which has showers and flush toilets. (flush toilets could be considered "nicer" than outhouses.)

There's lots of hiking to do around there. You could also try whitewater rafting on the kicking horse river, caving, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc.

Chicago, IL
2. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

Thanks! Any suggestions for restaurants and stuff like that? Also...do I need a passport to go to Canada? or will a birth certificate and a drivers license suffice?

matt

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

Hello matt,

>>>Any suggestions for restaurants and stuff like that?<<<

If you're staying at the Fairmont, it has good restaurants. The most expensive restaurant in the village of Lake Louise is the Post Hotel (reservations essential). Another excellent restaurant is the Station Restaurant at the edge of the village. Next to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, at the lake of Lake Louise (3 miles from the village of Lake Louise), is a small, quaint hotel called Deer Lodge. I like its restaurant too.

The Lake Louise area has some brilliant hiking. That said, I think there might be merit in splitting your time between Lake Louise and Jasper.

Since you're 22, the car rental company probably will impose a surcharge for being an under-25 driver, but maybe you know that already.

If you'll be camping, I don't know if you intend to bring a tent, sleeping bags, etc., from home. If you need to rent equipment, there are stores in Calgary and Banff that rent it.

>>>do I need a passport to go to Canada? or will a birth certificate and a drivers license suffice?<<<

Having a passport tends to speed up your processing through immigration. However, you technically do not need a passport. A birth certificate and DL will suffice.

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

A more casual restaurant is the one in the hostel. They serve decent food at reasonable prices. The portions are a good size too.

It's a small town, and there aren't a lot of restaurants. Most of them are in the hotels.

There is a small (and pricy) grocery store in the mall. If you want to pick up any groceries, there are larger supermarkets in Canmore and Banff.

Barrie
5. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

Hi Matt,

Have travelled in Lake Louise, banff and Jasper about 8 times and love it. Lake Louise has one 'mall' Sampson mall they call it. You absolutely have to go to Laggans for coffee and all kinds of treats! It is a great place....try one of their health cookies......I actually bought several bags of their batter so I wouldn't go through withdrawal.

As far as restaurants go .....it depends what you want to spend. I mostly camp or stay at the Hostel which is right next to the post hotel. It has good value for your dollar especially breakfast. If you want to eat at the post but are looking for casual, then the 'Outpost' is the less formal pub style place to go and is attached to the Post Hotel. It offers close to the same menu as upstairs.

For hikes I use the Trail Guide to Canada's Western Parks. It is a really good book for about 15 bucks. You could get one at the book store in Sampson Mall. don't bother if you are not into hiking much just go to the parks canada office (also at the Mall) and they will give you suggestions and maps with respect to hikes that suit what you want to do and your ability.

If you have time take a drive up the columbia Icefields parkway. It is breathtaking!!

Enjoy and have a great holiday

Dana

Barrie
6. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

Hi Matt,

Have travelled in Lake Louise, banff and Jasper about 8 times and love it. Lake Louise has one 'mall' Sampson mall they call it. You absolutely have to go to Laggans for coffee and all kinds of treats! It is a great place....try one of their health cookies......I actually bought several bags of their batter so I wouldn't go through withdrawal.

As far as restaurants go .....it depends what you want to spend. I mostly camp or stay at the Hostel which is right next to the post hotel. It has good value for your dollar especially breakfast. If you want to eat at the post but are looking for casual, then the 'Outpost' is the less formal pub style place to go and is attached to the Post Hotel. It offers close to the same menu as upstairs.

For hikes I use the Trail Guide to Canada's Western Parks. It is a really good book for about 15 bucks. You could get one at the book store in Sampson Mall. don't bother if you are not into hiking much just go to the parks canada office (also at the Mall) and they will give you suggestions and maps with respect to hikes that suit what you want to do and your ability.

If you have time take a drive up the columbia Icefields parkway. It is breathtaking!!

Enjoy and have a great holiday

Dana

Chicago, IL
7. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

thanks everyone for the advice! Just so you know...if you set up a corporate account with the rental car agencies they don't charge the "under 25" surcharge...just a little trick my girlfriend's Dad helped us out with.

We are going to stay at Wapiti in Jasper for camping...anyone know if there is anything around there? Markets? Camping stores?

Matt

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Some Lake Louise advice

Wapiti is just a few minutes south of the town of Jasper, where you will find some camping stores and other shops.