We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 6
Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

My wife-to-be and I will be spending 6 days in Banff this August as part of our honeymoon. Four of those days we'll be at the Chateau Lake Louise, which is pretty darn pricey. For the first 2 days, we're looking to stay in the town of Banff, and maybe save a little money (so, no Banff Springs). What I'm looking for is a hotel that meets a few simple criteria:

1) We want to be in town. Since the Chateau is a little removed from it all, we're hoping to get the experience of being able to step out of our hotel and be fairly close to the restaurants in town. Doesn't have to be on the main street, but no more than a couple minute walk.

2) Need parking. I don't care if it's complimentary or requires a small charge. I just need a place that will assure me that I don't need to find a place to park my rental car on the street.

3) Good breakfasts! During our days in Banff, we're going to be pretty busy hiking and rafting so overall great service is not something I'm particularly concerned about. Frankly, we won't be around the hotel much at all, except when sleeping. But one thing we will take advantage of before we head out for the day is a good hearty breakfast. I've seen some reviews commenting on one place or another having bad breakfasts, so I figured I'd throw this in.

My price range is flexible. While hoping to avoid the $500 Banff Springs costs, I'm willing to pay $200-$300. I'm not picky on the style of the hotel/inn/lodge, but I would like someplace clean and comfortable, obviously. One place I had looked at is The Brewster Mountain Lodge, but reviews on this site have not been the best. Looking for other suggestions, or perhaps endorsements of Brewster.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
1. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

Brewster's Mountain Lodge meets two of your three criteria: it is on Caribou St, just off of Banff Avenue, so the location is very central to downtown Banff; it has secure underground parking for $10/night. The breakfasts are a bit more problematic; although they do the continental breakfast thing passably (muffins, yogurt, apples, oranges, juice, tea, coffee), it sounds like you'd prefer a good hot breakfast. Luckily, that's available just a block away, at Bruno's (304 Caribou St), on the other side of Banff Avenue.

Coyote's (206 Caribou St) is even closer, and veteran restaurant reviewer John Gilchrist says it's one of his favorite Banff breakfast spots. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Washington, DC
reviews: 6
2. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

Thank you for the reply, Country_Wife. I have Brewster pretty well scoped in terms of my criteria which is why I came to this site looking for confirmation that it was a good place to go, but I guess I was a little turned off by the reviews I read. It's rated lower than nearly every hotel in it's price range. Granted, many of the complaints are about service issues that I tend not to be too concerned about, but things like booking cancellations and unusually bad maid service do raise a bit of a red flag. So I'm wondering if there are other, similar, but 'better' options. If Brewster is the best fit, I'm willing to chance it. But I'm also willing to take suggestions from the local experts on this message board who really seem to know their stuff, such as yourself.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

You could consider Banff Park Lodge. It's just round the corner from Brewster's. One of the nice things about it is that it's just off to one side from the downtown core (so a little quieter), and yet only a block or two from the very central part of downtown Banff.

Uderground parking is available at the Banff Park Lodge. You pay for it, but at least it's available.

The hotel has an on-site restaurant that is good for breakfast. If you don't want to eat there, it is directly across the street from Melissa's, which serves great breakfasts (and just round the corner from the previously mentioned Coyote's, etc.).

I have stayed at Banff Park Lodge, and I was happy there. But then I am not a princess who feels a pea under twenty mattresses.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

Postscript. I intended to say that Brewster Mounntain Lodge and Banff Park Lodge are just round the corner from each other.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 76
5. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

I think Judy's right - the Banff Park Lodge may be yur answer. Ask for a room facing west (you'll get the river/upvalley/sunset view), at the end that is farthest away from the hospital (some rooms on the other end face the hospital, and you might hear ambulances at night.)

The only thing that you might not like at the BPL is being able to hear the trains. Personally, I love the sound of trains in the night, but I know some people don't. If they bother you, go for an east facing room.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
6. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

One piece of useful info for those who are concerned about train noise: in general, there are far fewer trains running at night on Saturday and Sunday than on the weekdays. So those nights tend to be fairly quiet, even if you're right next to the train tracks. Earplugs and sleeping pills also help.

I've gleaned this info from many summer vacations at the family cabin, which is right next to the CPR's main line (the same route that goes through Banff).

I can't say anything about the Brewster Mountain Lodge that I haven't already put into reviews and photos on their review page here at TA.

7. Re: Wanted: Nice hotel in town w/ parking and good breakfasts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 19, 2009