We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

Just came back from Banff for 2 weeks. The landscape really awsome, what a wonderful jorney! I had visited Vermillion lake several time when I stayed at Banff. It seems that there is a hot spring near the view point at 2nd Vermillion lake? I can sense the odd sulphur smell that initially I though it is a dirty water from drain. As an extra knowledge, can anybody tell me more about this?

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

You are right in thinking that there is a hot spring in the vicinity of the Vermillion Lakes.

The Vermillion Lakes get most of their water from periodic flooding of the Bow River. The Third Vermillion Lake also gets some of its water from a hot spring. Consequently, unlike other lakes in the Canadian Rockies, part of Third Vermillion Lake stays free of ice in winter.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 23
2. Re: Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

What I find amazing about these tiny bodies of water that are fed by hot springs that there is a habitat for small minnow like fish that can thrive in the bitter extremes of winter because of those hot spring fed waters.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 76
3. Re: Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

Hi brownearth:

Yes, there are definintely sulphur springs around the edges of third Vermilion. In general, when you smell sulphur in Banff, it's likely to be a spring rather than bad drains!

Although the main spring on 3rd Vermilion is a "hot" spring, there are also cold sulphur springs scattered about the Banff townsite area.

Singapore
4. Re: Hot spring at Vermillion Lake?

Thanks for your info! Medicine Lake is my favourite lake at Jasper while Vermillion Lake is my favourite lake at Banff! :)