We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manila
reviews: 2
should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

these are my choices

- 2 nights banff, 1 night lake louise, 1 night jasper

- 3 nights banff, 1 night jasper

- 2 nights banff, 2 nights jasper

i read that lake louise is beautfiul in the early morning and susnset that is why i ask about staying overnight in lake loiuse

we plan to do 2 or 3 hikes but, still didn't get a chance to research on those yet but, will probably go to the more popular ones - easy to intermediate hikes. i just need to book rooms asap as i understand jun 28-jul3 is a busy time.

4 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
1. Re: should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

Greetings

It would help to know your plans at either end of the trip. Are you flying in & out of Calgary? Continuing on from Jasper to somewhere else. When are you planning to travel?

Generally five nights in the bare minimum, and it's hard to provide an idea of a good plan without knowing where your trip starts and ends. If you starting & ending in Calgary, we generally recommend starting out in Banff for a night or two, then spending a couple nights in Jasper, then back down to Banff, then to Calgary depending on when your flight leaves. It's generally suggested to leave a whole day for each way on the Icefields Parkway to allow time to see the sights and get some hikes in.

If hiking is your thing, for this short a trip, you might be better off staying in Banff & Lake Louise, then just driving part way up the Icefields. That will give you more time to explore - spend a day on the Icefields, then a day doing Johnston Canyon/Inkpots & around Banff, a day around Lake Louise & Moraine Lake, then a day or two to do other hikes or sights in the area (possibly YoHo).

This will depend on the time of year - hiking will be a lot more limited before mid June and after early October.

manila
reviews: 2
2. Re: should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

thank you ksneds.

we are drving out of calgary to banff, june 28, saturday early morning and flying out from calgary at 5:30 pm, Jul 3 (thursday)

is this a good plan?

saturday - banf

sunday - banff

monday - drive to lake louise/yoho arrive at jasper

tuesday - leave jasper after lunch

wednesday - banff

Thursday - leave banff around 1 pm for 5:30 flight

is staying in jasper extra day better than more days in banff? are there hikes\sites there that we can't miss?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 31
3. Re: should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

Are you flying into Calgary on an international flight? Will you be dealing with jetlag? The drive to Banff isn't too bad, but when dealing with jetlag it can take you more time, especially grabbing your bearings and driving in another country. But it's a smooth drive, and can go quickly.

Your itinerary looks good otherwise! Enjoy!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
4. Re: should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?

Monday would be a LONG day.

From Banff, you are looking at a good 40-60 minutes or more to YoHo, then backtracking to Lake Louise, from which it is 3.5 hours straight to Jasper if you don't stop at all. And that's a drive you want plenty of time to enjoy. Plus you are travelling during a very busy weekend, so you may well encounter very full parking lots and extra traffic on tighter roads like the one to Lake Louise.

If you are intent on going to Jasper, I would do Lake Louise and Yoho on Sunday or Wednesday.

Also, you need to check on accommodations and book ASAP - you may already have limited options, especially in Jasper.

Reply to: should i stay overnight in lake louise in a 5 day itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted