We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manila
reviews: 2
arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

need a car to bring with us to banff and our flight arrives at 1:04 am.

looks like all car rentals by the airport close at 1:00 am.

1) has anyone had any experience where i can prepay for the car and just pick it up from the airport even if they have closed? or has there been a company in the airport that waited till around 1:30 am..

2) other optiom, will be to take a cab and stay for the night in calgary and rent a car the follwing day which will cost me more money for the cab and the diffrent location car droo off fee. how much is the cab fare out of the airport to downtown calgary and is it easy to get a cab at 1:30 am?

Edmonton, Canada
1. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Your best option would be staying in one of the several hotels right by the airport (many of them offer 24-hour shuttles) and then pick up your rental car the next morning.

There is no point taking a taxi to downtown Calgary just to sleep the night and leave the next day.

Also, I wouldn't try to make the drive to Banff that night even if you could get a car especially after spending the whole day flying. My advice would be to get some rest and drive when it is light outside.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
2. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

The closest hotels to the airport are: Delta Calgary Airport (located in the terminal - don't even have to go outside); Acclaim Hotel; Best Western Freeport; and the two brand new hotels, Hampton Inn by Hilton Calgary Airport North (don't confuse it with another Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Calgary-Airport, which is further away), and Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Airport, which opens in just a few weeks. Except for the Delta, the other hotels should have airport shuttles, but I would check with them to see how late the shuttles run.

One last option would be to take a shuttle to Banff, and then pick up your rental car in Banff. Banff Airporter Express will meet your flight, no matter what time it arrives; you tell them your flight number & other info when you make your reservation:

banffairporter.com/scheduled-airporter/

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
3. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Actually, I think you will find staying the night in Calgary and picking up a car from an off-airport location MUCH cheaper. Calgary is an expensive airport for picking up cars, and you'll get a far better price picking up in town. I fly through Calgary often, and it's just become habit for me now to grab a taxi to an off-site rental agency upon arrival at YYC. You can drop off at the airport for no additional fee. Fees for dropping off at a different location are usually applicable when dropping off in a different city.

Tempe, Arizona
reviews: 9
4. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

great info- thank you! I was stunned at my first look at rentals, and some places are not unlimited miles. I don't recall this when we booked on Vancouver Island/airport or in Vancouver. Which are some good rental sites for cars that you use? Or do you just call direct to the rental companies- and which are good? Sorry for so many questions.... just still stunned at the additional costs

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Not to stray too far from davoice2's Original Question, retriverlvr, the major players will be Avis, National, Hertz, Budget, Dollar, the usual that you already looked into on VI. They are all competitive, so one is not necessarily better or cheaper than the other. It comes down to a matter of shopping and shopping some more. Look hard for unlimited kms.

davoice2, you will very likely be better off, convenience-wise, sleep-wise, to take a shuttle to an airport hotel. Especially if you are arriving from Manila.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
6. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Even IF it were possible to pre-pay and pick up a car without dealing with the agency's counter staff (which it won't be, since they will want to see your driver's license and your credit card), I almost always find scratches and marks on a rental car's exterior that are not marked on the inspection form. I have heard too many horror stories of people being charged for minor dings and scratches to ever pick up a car without giving it a thorough inspection (and taking photographs) and having the agency's staff initial the inspection form after I have indicated any dings and scratches on it.

If you are arriving from Manila, it will probably be 1:30 or closer to 2 before you have picked up your luggage and gone through customs and immigration anyway.

+1 to staying at one of the hotels with an airport shuttle, and then picking up the car the next day.... no need to navigate in a strange place in the dark, when you are tired after a long flight. You can either take the shuttle back to the airport the next day to pick up a car there, or taxi or transit to an off-airport location.

Edited: 11:42 am, April 23, 2014
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
7. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

I usually stick to the major players. I know of a Hertz on 32nd Ave NE just south of the airport (not open Sundays), and there's an Avis near there too. I typically use one of those if I'm just going from the airport to the car rental (about 15 minute cab ride because you still need to go right around the airport to get there). I've also used the Hertz on Macleod Trail South when I had business in town before I needed the rental car.

All of the car rental agencies will have a location search function on their website, so see which ones are close to the hotel you stay at. Also, some rental locations will even pick you up at your hotel saving you the taxi ride.

Just do a search for prices at all of the locations that seem convenient to you, and be sure they will be open when you need to pick up the car!

Singapore
reviews: 29
8. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

I am planning a trip to Banff as well, arriving into Calgary airport around midnight. I saw on Avis website their operation hours are 7am till 2am except on Saturdays 7am-1215am. Unless you are arriving on Sat night, I suppose you should be just in time to pick up the rental car if there is no delay. Alternatively Hertz at Calgary airport does after hours vehicle pick-up service but it must be pre-arranged.

However i would agree that it is really late by that time and even if u manage to collect the rental car after your flight, it might be a better idea to drive to the nearby airport hotel such as Best Western Premier or Acclaim Hotel which is 5 minutes away to rest for the night before continuing to Banff the next morning feeling fresh.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 17
9. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

If you are getting in that late, stay at the Delta Airport hotel, its just a short 15 second walk from the terminal to the hotel and get your car in the morning, or whatever time you wake up.

manila
reviews: 2
10. Re: arriving calgary airport at 1:00 am, all car rentals closed

Thank you all for helping in my decision..decided to stay the night at delta and pick up the car from budget rentals in the mornin..

Avis and hertz would have accimodated my 1 am arrival but would cost $250 more in my weekly rental..I decided to spend $50 more to stay in delta hotel rather than hotels that I would need to shuttle back and forth for convenience..other option would have to shuttle to hotel and have anothet budget office pick me up but, the rental would have cost $30 more because I will be dropping off the car at thecairpory