We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

I have read many of the posts saying to take the IP both ways, but I have a daughter who would like to see the Edmonton mall and the living history park there; so our plan is to fly into Calgary and out of Edmonton. I am just wondering if I have allocated the days correctly. We like to hike and she will want to ride horses somewhere. This is the current plan:

Fly into Calgary late July 3 and stay one day for the stampede.

July 5 and 6 overnight in Banff

July 7 and 8 overnight in Lake Louise

July 9 and 10 overnight in Jasper

July 11 overnight in Edmonton and fly out the next day.

Should I plan for more time in Jasper and less in Banff or does this look reasonable? Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Lake Louise is only 45 minutes up the road from Banff. It seems a bit of a nuisance to change hotels to move 45 minutes up the road. If you stick with this plan, I would still only spend one night in LL and add a night to Jasper.

2. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Got it. Thanks for the advice. We have not made any hotel reservations, so that's an easy change. We sort of fell in love with the look of Lake Louise, but I don't know that we have to actually stay there. Banff pricing looks a bit lower also. I appreciate your help.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
3. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Fort Edmonton Park is a great living history destination, probably the best in Western Canada for size and quality of interpretation. I say that with some confidence because I've been to most of the living history sites in Canada. Did you know that you can stay overnight at the Hotel Selkirk there?

http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/hotel-selkirk/

Edited: 2:45 pm, April 22, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 25
4. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

WEM (West Edmonton Mall) is huge. How long were you planning on spending there? When are you flying out of Edmonton?

There is an amusement park, waterpark, pirate ship, golf course, skating rink and over 800 stores. Plan to spend at least half a day if you are just walking through and taking in the sights. If you and your daughter are looking to shop, then plan for longer. The mall is open until 9pm, well the stores, but alot of the restaurants, and pubs will be open longer.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
5. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Some considerations for LL:

Its a very small village with very few amenities. Most people do it as a stop on a day of touring from Banff or Calgary. The main people who seek out LL as a place to stay are the serious hikers as it provides better access to the hiking trails, but the lower number of rooms does tend to drive the price up.

Most people will say that its not worth the hassle of moving to a hotel up the road, but the one argument in favour of doing this is that when you stay in LL, you have the advantage of seeing it without the hoards of tour busses and crowds, in the early morning or in the evening. I think this would be magical, but probably not worth more than one night.

6. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

The hotel in Edmonton Park looks very cool. Thanks!

Edited: 4:11 pm, April 22, 2014
7. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

Suzanne, it looks like we will run short of time. I think we fly out at 4:00. My husband and I are much more interested in the National Parks, so she might lose out on her mall. Thanks.

8. Re: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip

You have all been very helpful. I'm now leaning hard toward one fewer day at LL and one more at Jasper. I think it will be a terrific trip. Our two favorites recently have been trips to Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah and the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. You simply cannot beat a national park vacation. Thanks.

Reply to: Calgary/Banff/Jasper/Edmonton trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted