We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manila
reviews: 2
worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

we are coming from NY and primarily want to see Banff and some part of the rockies from Jun 27-Jul 7.

we've been to Vancouver and would want to see seattle though not really a must.

how are the sceneries from seattle to Banff. is it really worth spending two days on that trip (we want to take our time). we definitely are going to do the drive from jasper to Banff so, is it enough for the sceneries and just fly directly to/from Calgary and skip seattle?

manila
reviews: 2
1. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

just to be clear: my options are fly in seattle then drive then fly out Calgary or fly In/out of calgfary

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 6
2. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

a vote for in/out of Calgary if you want to do the Rockies.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 86
3. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

Yes...in and out of Calgary...save a ton of money just on gas and rentals.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

<<is it really worth spending two days on that trip (we want to take our time). >>

If you want to take your time, you'll need more than two days. While I suppose it would almost be possible to do this trip in one very long day, two days is a minimum to be comfortable and have time to eat at a sit down restaurant rather than in the car. Its not what I would define as "taking your time" which would be more like 3-4 days.

Your total trip time doesn't allow for the Seattle extension. You could quite easily spend all your time just in Banff and Jasper, but if you wanted to tour a little further than that, there are a few good options you could explore (Drumheller, loop around the Crows Nest Pass and back up through Invermere, a Kootenay loop taking in Nelson and Revelstoke for a couple of days) Figure out the Banff/Jasper part of the trip and how many days that will take. Then, if you find you have a couple of extra days going spare, we can recommend any number of extensions to fill up the itinerary.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
5. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

You have what - 10 or 11 days? I've taken road trips from the Canadian Rockies here in Jasper and not even made it as far as Seattle in that time ... there is tons to do and see between the Rockies and the coast! Two days isn't taking your time at all; that's just putting your nose to the grindstone and making the drive! There is also tons to do and see here in the Rockies, especially if you like hiking and other outdoor activities... you can easily spend 10 or 11 days (or longer) just in the Canadian Rockies. If they are the focus of your holiday, I, too, would recommend flying in and out of Calgary. Besides Banff/Yoho and Jasper, if gorgeous mountain scenery is what you want, you could head a bit west on the TransCanada #1 to the Revelstoke area, and add the Selkirk Mountains, with Mt. Revelstoke National Park and Glacier National Park, to your itinerary.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
6. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

One more vote for flying in & out of Calgary - it's just 1.5 to 2 hours (depending on traffic, construction, etc.) from the airport to the mountains, so you can spend less time driving and more time enjoying the views and experiencing the Rockies.

Edited: 12:24 pm, April 17, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 3
7. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

+1 for flying in and out of Calgary.

Note that July 1 is a national holiday in Canada, and the period from June 27-July 2 is likely to be extremely busy. Also, the Calgary Stampede starts on July 4, and at that time, accommodations will be extremely limited in the Calgary area. It may also affect car rental availability.

As such, you should book accommodations and rentals ASAP, and be aware that prices are likely to be high. I'd also get plane tickets booked very soon since it's a peak time for visits to Calgary.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
8. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

I live in Seattle and work in Banff and even I vote for flying to Calgary. If anything use the time and perhaps add a trip down to Glacier NP in Montana if you want to see some different scenery.

9. Re: worth the drive from seattle to jasper/banff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 19, 2015