We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 12
Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Hi everyone,

Our returning flight back to Florida is at 6:25 AM so we have to be at the airport 2 hours before our departure time. Most of the car rental companies opens at 6 to 8 AM, and we have to return our car by 4 or the latest 5 AM.

Do any of you have any experience returning a car early in the morning? Should we just return the car 1 day ahead since we'll be staying in Calgary the night before our flight?

Thanks,

Xanthine

10 replies to this topic
Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

I do return cars to YYC in the early a.m. hours from time to time. I am comfortable doing that; locking the vehicle and depositing the keys into a chute.... But I am aware that I am responsible should anything happen to that vehicle before it is checked in by the car rental employee.

I have never experienced any difficulties with early morning YYC returns and am doing the same this weekend, for a way- too-early flight.

Also be aware that the gas station in the vicinity of the airport will not be open, you will have to fill the tank the night before.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 72
2. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

If you're staying in Calgary the night before, then definitely return the car. Why taake a chance on someone scratching it or whatever once you've dropped the keys in the box?

Edited: 7:42 pm, April 07, 2014
Pensacola, Florida
3. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Thanks for both of your replies.

Love2Vacation - Once you returned your car and dropped the keys in the drop off box, do you take a shuttle to the airport itself? or is it just connected to the airport? How do you know which parking spot to leave the car? I guess we can just ask all these questions once we talk to the rental company. Sorry, we've never left the car unattended so I'm just a little worried.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Can't answer any of your questions when you give no clue who you're renting from...

Cheers,

Terry

Pensacola, Florida
5. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

We haven't booked our car rental yet but right now Thrifty or Dollar is the cheapest.

Canada
reviews: 27
6. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

The car rentals (and returns) for the major car rental agencies are right across from the airport terminal, in an adjacent building. Very handy!

When returning to the airport, the signage on the way in is quite specific, you cannot miss it. Follow the signs for the departure level and then the signs for the specific rental company, park the car where indicated as "returns" (and where there is room). Fill in mileage on form and drop with keys.

Yes, ask the car rental company any questions when you pick up the vehicle.

YYC is pretty busy in the early morning. That is one of the reasons I am not uncomfortable leaving a car prior to the rental company opening.

Just make a double check of all your belongings prior to locking the car and dropping the keys! ( I once left medication in the car-- it had fallen out of my pocket.....car was locked and the keys safely in the lockbox....)

And, as always, when you pick up the car make note of EVERYTHING you notice on the vehicle. This includes scratches, dings, dents and specifically any chips on the windshield. Have the agent note it all on the form.

Edited: 9:09 pm, April 07, 2014
Pensacola, Florida
7. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Thank you so much for a very detailed reply! :)

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
8. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Be aware that you will be going through US immigrations & customs in the Calgary Airport, so you will need to allow time for that. I think they generally open around 5am, but it can be quite busy with all the people passing through to get on early morning flights, so not a time to cut things close.

I think they actually suggest at least 2.5 hours for US bound flights to ensure you don't miss your flight due to line ups in immigrations (no separate lines for US citizens, so you can get stuck behind people with all sorts of strange visa situations). I've done in less time in Edmonton, but Edmonton is smaller and I have a NEXXUS card, so can use priority security and immigration lines.

With such an early flight, have you considered staying at at Delta Calgary Airport or another airport hotel with a shuttle and just returning the car the night before. One less thing to worry about at early o'clock.

British Columbia...
reviews: 18
9. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

I would drop the car off late the night before and stay at the hotel right at the airport, it will be so much easier the next morning with an early flight. I have stayed there a few years back and it was so convenient with an early morning flight.

calgary
reviews: 2
10. Re: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?

Have to agree with the suggestion from ksneds and jeepy93 to stay at the airport the night before; much less hassle in the morning.

Reply to: Returning car rental at 4 AM in Calgary Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted