We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 14
Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Hello everyone,

We will be in Banff from Jul 14th until the 20th. Any pros and cons of the two hotels? Is the no air-conditioning going to be a problem in July?

Thanks,

Xanthine

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
1. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Unlike in Florida, air-conditioning is not a summer essential in Banff. However, sometimes there are heat waves and then air conditioning is very nice to have. So you're taking a small chance if you don't go with AC that you will be there during one of the few times in the year when you need it.

To give you a bit more perspective, most homes in Alberta do not have air conditioning. Overnight low temperatures and cross-ventilation through open windows mean that AC is just not worth the investment for most people..

Pensacola, Florida
2. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Thanks for the reply!

We're used to the heat and humidity here in Florida that I'm pretty sure if it gets hot in Banff, it still wouldn't be as hot as it gets here.

I'm really excited for our 1st trip to Canada! :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
3. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Both hotels are run by the same company, and are not far apart, and (I am guessing) about similar vintage ... the Caribou is about a block further out from downtown than the Fox. I have never stayed at the Fox, but have stayed twice at the Caribou; the hot tub there was closed for maintenance during our last stay (October 2012) and we used the one at the Fox. The front desk clerk at the Caribou told us it was the nicest hot tub in town... it's built to resemble a natural hot springs grotto/cave, and is open to the outdoors above. But actually, I liked the one at the Caribou better. We love the Keg restaurant at the Caribou too (but you can eat there no matter where you stay).

All of the above is probably not a lot of help ;-) ... I don't know if there is much difference in rates or the room types on offer; I'd say go with whichever one your gut is drawing you to, or whichever is less expensive.

On edit: Neither of the above were there when I started writing. Note that when it does get hot in Alberta, it's not muggy/humid like in the east. Still, it can be hard to get any cross ventilation in a hotel room, but most hotels do have fans available for hot spells.

Edited: 3:13 pm, April 07, 2014
Pensacola, Florida
4. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Thanks for the reply! We actually already have a reservation with the Caribou but I'm just making sure we made the right decision. One of the reviews mentioned that the Caribou is too far from downtown? and Is not in the middle of action? They also said it's a 10 minute walk to all the shops in downtown. I'm sure the 10 minute walk isn't that bad.

One of the reasons we picked the Caribou too is because of the Keg restaurant. I've read their breakfast is good so it would really be nice to just go down and eat breakfast and not have to drive just for breakfast.

Their price is pretty comparable. I think we'll just stick with the Caribou. :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
5. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

even if the room gets warm after dinner the weather cools off a lot. Ask for a room in back so you don't get a lot of road noise. They do have some rooms with balcony doors that open. The spa is wonderful at Caribou and they give free bus tix so you can ride into town or up to the Gondola or upper hot springs. The Keg restaraunt is one of my favorite steak houses. Its a great property

Pensacola, Florida
6. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Thanks for the tip davidgmg! Hopefully we can get a room with balcony doors that open. We booked a superior room so maybe we can get an upgrade once we get there. I'm happy to read positive reviews of the Caribou!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 82
7. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Distance is not an issue.

Comapring the two, Fox may be a bit better to some, but the cost difference (usually Fox is quite a bit more) is not worth it. I've stayed at Caribou a few times way back and had no issues (though it is getting old?)...I'm sure the room will be fine.

Pensacola, Florida
8. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Thanks for the reply! I have noticed that Fox is a little bit more expensive and while I was researching I cant seem to figure out why either. Maybe its because fox is newer. But right now we're still keeping our Caribou reservation and just hope for the best!

Banff
9. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

Hi,

I work for the company that represents both the Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa and the Fox Hotel & Suites. Your discussions are fantastic and both are great properties. I can help you out with a few of your questions.

* Air Conditioning - offered in the suites at the Fox Hotel & Suites

* Fan is provided in rooms at the Caribou Lodge & Spa and Hotel rooms at the Fox Hotel & Suites

* Fox Hotel & Suites is the newest hotel in Banff built from the ground up in 2007

* Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa went through full extensive renovations of rooms, bathrooms, hallways in 2012

Yes, you will find the Fox to be a little more pricey as the suites are quite a bit larger and offer more (kitchenette, pull out sofa, multiple tv's, includes a continental breakfast as well). Comparing hotel rooms between the two properties, you will find the Caribou Lodge is more spacious, etc...

Both are great choices in Banff.

Enjoy your stay in Banff

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
10. Re: Banff Caribou Lodge &spa VS Fox Hotel & suites?? July 2014

>> you will find the Caribou Lodge is more spacious

Makes me wonder how tiny the rooms are at the Fox! I have stayed twice at the Caribou and really like it, but "spacious" is not a word I would use to describe the rooms. I'm not sure what classification of room we were in, but both times, it was one with a king-size bed and a pull-out couch, and a (very) small balcony. Compared to the average hotel room size, they are probably about one-quarter smaller. While lacking in space, I found them to be very well thought-out, though - plenty of storage, lots of coat hooks in the entryway, and lots and lots of counter space in the bathroom (and a long shelf along the mirror) for belongings. I posted a couple of photos of the room in my review back in the fall of 2011, and there are lots of others posted by many other reviewers there too.