We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with our 6-day vacation plan

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
6 posts
Please help with our 6-day vacation plan

Hi there,

We are planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies in early July. We will bring 2 girls aged 10 and 6 and 3 seniors aged 70+. The seniors are not very fit. The girls are average but definitely not sporty.

It’s our first time there. After doing lots of research on this site and also reading the Moon Canadian Rockies book, I made the following plan:

Day 1: Late night fly to Calgary. Stay in Canmore.

Day 2: Drive along Icefield Parkway, stop in Hector Lake, Bow Lake, Peyto Lake, Waterfowl Lake(depends on time), Mistaya Canyon, the Ice Explorers Tour of Columbia Icefield, spend the night in Miette Hot Spring

Day 3: Maligne Canyon, Pyramid Lake, Horseback riding or rafting, Miette Hot Spring

Day 4: Mt Edith Cavell, Athbasca Fall, Parker Ridge (if everybody is ok with hiking), Lake Louise, spend the night at Banff

Day 5: Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake of Yoho, Johnston Canyon

Day 6: Banff Gondola, Upper Hot Springs, Bow Fall, Cascade Gardens, Banff Park Museum(optional)- spend the night at Calgary

We will arrive on Thursday night and leave on next Wednesday morning. I heard that Banff will be very crowded in July and August so I think we had better spend the weekend in Jasper instead of Banff. If that doesn’t make any difference, I would prefer visit Banff first and then go to Jasper.

I also read from this site that parking will be an issue for Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, so I put them one in late afternoon and the other in early morning next day. I would rather visit them on the same day if we don’t need to wait in a long line to get into the parking lot.

We plan to stay in Banff and Miette Hot Spring instead of Lake Louise and Jasper because my hubby said the hotels are cheaper there and he doesn’t mind driving the extra distance. We are on a budget but I can talk him out of it if that is not a good idea.

I would like to know if I planned too much or too little for each day, or if there are some places we should or should not go. There are so many beautiful places to see. However I don’t want the group to be too tired. Please provide any advices and suggestions you have.

Thanks a lot.

Windsor, Canada
6 posts
11. Re: Please help with our 6-day vacation plan

Thank you all for your advices! We can't wait to visit there in July.

12. Re: Please help with our 6-day vacation plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 09, 2015