We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary in Banff please

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southampton
Help with itinerary in Banff please

Hi

We are a reasonably fit couple in our sixties and will be spending three full days in Banff at the beginning of September. We will not have a car and prefer not to take organised tours where possible. Please could anyone suggest the best use of our time to include visits to the following sights plus any other 'must do/sees' I may have missed:

Lake Louise, Lake Moraine, Lake Peyto

Johnson Canyon

I believe the Gondola, Bow Falls, The Cave and Basin are easily accessible from town?

My concerns are the transportation to each attraction and the time scales we need to allow?

Many thanks in anticipation

9 replies to this topic
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 71
1. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

This TA page:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c155456/Banff:…

should help you get a start on your planning. The various links to transportation methods will give you a sense of what's available.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
2. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

A few tips...

Peyto Lake is on the Icefields and is about an hour from Banff, depending on traffic and weather. It's just one pull over/view along the Icefields, so it's generally part of trip along the highway, rather than the focus of a day. As there is no public transport as such along the Icefields, you will have to rent a car or go on a tour bus of one sort or another. Johnston Canyon is between Banff & Lake Louise, and again, not served by formal public transport.

You can get to Lake Louise by Greyhound, and I think the above link might reveal another shuttle option. However, Greyhound goes to the "mall" which is a 10 minute drive from the Lake. Moraine Lake is another 15-25 minute drive up from there, and would require going with a tour of some sort.

For the above, you might want to think about a day tour which would include Lake Louise & the Icefields or see if there's a tour that includes Lake Louise and Johnston Canyon. The Icefields is worth a day of it's own, especially if you want to go the glacier tour.

Bow Falls (not Bow Glacier Falls), Cave & Basin and the Gondola should all be accessible via public transport in Banff. The link above should have a link to schedules. The falls are more or less in town, Cave & Basin less so, but the gondola requires public bus transport or a very long walk.

southampton
3. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

Hi

Thank you so much for all the information. I think I've pretty much done all the research I can for our 'dream trip' to Canada now and can't wait for August to come round.

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help us.

Jenny

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
4. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

unfortunately without a car and without wanting to do a 'tour' the things outside of Banff will be very difficult to see. You really need a car or some sort of tour.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
5. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

<< We will not have a car and prefer not to take organised tours where possible. >>

Then you will miss so much. If you are not renting a car, at least for a day, then you have to take a tour.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 11
6. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

I agree with others that if you are not renting a car, you will probably want to do 1 or 2 organized tours to be able to see more of the area. On other days, there are things to do in Banff that you can walk as well as places that are not far away that you can take shuttle bus and explore on your own.

London, United...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

Hi there,

You are right, you can get to the Cave & Basin and Gondola on foot or using the local Roam bus; to get to Lake Louise there is an infrequent Greyhound bus service. By far the best way is to hire a car if you can.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
reviews: 5
8. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

You can get to Lake Louise by taking the Brewster Bus from Banff. It drops people off at the Fairmont Chateau Hotel that sits right at the lake. It's a bit more expensive than the Greyhound, but it also runs on time. You catch it at the terminal where near the Tim Hortons in Banff. Here is the schedule and rates.

explorerockies.com/airport-shuttles/calgary-…

southampton
9. Re: Help with itinerary in Banff please

Thank you so much for recent postings -very useful information.

Reply to: Help with itinerary in Banff please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted