We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get to the popular trails early -- what does that mean?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
reviews: 4
Get to the popular trails early -- what does that mean?

Hi! My family is renting a condo in Canmore for the first week in August this summer. I know that is probably one of the busiest weeks of the year for the national parks, but we have to go when we get the time off from work. There are six of us, ranging in age from 14 to 50.

I keep seeing advice to get to the most popular trails (i.e. Johnston Canyon or Lake Louise) early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds. My question is this: How early is early and how late is late? We are coming from the eastern time zone so in theory, we could easily stay on our Florida "clocks" and be out and about before 6am. Is that a bad idea for hiking purposes? I don't want to get eaten by a bear or mountain lion (or mosquitoes for that matter). I also don't know what the park regulations are in this regard.

Can anyone define what they mean when the advise to get to the trails "early"?

Thanks!

Laura

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 3
21. Re: Get to the popular trails early -- what does that mean?

There is no such thing as trail in Banff or Jasper NP without bears - other than directly on the glaciers or well above treeline. However, there are are trails which are frequented less by bears - the Iceline is certainly not bear free.

22. Re: Get to the popular trails early -- what does that mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 11, 2015