We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Banff

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
surrey,England
Skiing in Banff

8 of us want to ski in Banff in January 2015, any ideas on the cheapest ways we could do this?

9 replies to this topic
Holland
reviews: 3
1. Re: Skiing in Banff

you mean the skiing or your entire vacation?

Toronto
reviews: 35
2. Re: Skiing in Banff

Avoid travel agents and package tours. Book it yourself.

Over the years I've encountered a lot of Brits skiing in Canada on package trips, the cost of which seems expensive. For hotels you'll be better of booking directly with the hotel or using an online supplier like Expedia or Travelocity.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
3. Re: Skiing in Banff

Cheapest way to do a ski trip from UK to Banff:

Fly Air Transat: www.airtransat.com

Buy multi-day tickets that include the ski shuttle: www.skibig3.com or through your hostel

Stay at a hostel:

http://banffinternationalhostel.com/

hihostels.ca/westerncanada/332/HI-Banff_Alpi…

http://www.ymountainlodge.com/

http://samesun.com/backpackers-hostels/banff/

surrey,England
4. Re: Skiing in Banff

The skiing,lift passes,flights accommodation.

Banff, Canada
reviews: 60
5. Re: Skiing in Banff

www.skibig3.com

They have some crazy cheap early season stuff. Great specials on lift and lodging.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 73
6. Re: Skiing in Banff

I will echo what "banff" said. Hostels sometimes will have multi day deals as well. Buy the Louise card or Sunshine card before Christmas…you will get your 1st, 4th and 7th day free….and 20% off the rest. Costco has deals on some as well.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 25
7. Re: Skiing in Banff

Make sure your accommodation has decent kitchen facilities if you're trying to be economical. Being able to prepare your own meals (and even to store refrigerator items) will save you a lot of money too (especially if you can pack your own lunches, as eating at the resorts gets very expensive very quickly.)

Holland
reviews: 3
8. Re: Skiing in Banff

I am not sure what touroperators in UK offer but in the Netherlands they have very limited options and no flexibility at all. I book flights, accommodation, car rental etc myself by searching online.

It is hard to tell which airline is cheapest, you need to check your various options like different airlines, different routes. (I know tons of people from UK fly KLM via Amsterdam, and tons of Dutch people fly BA via London as their cheapest option). You can book flights about 11 months in advance so you can check already. Usually the earlier you book the lower the rates.

I am not sure you will be able to find a home for rent that is big enough for 8 people, you could check:

www.vrbo.com

My guess would be your best option to find a house/condo/appartment this big will be in Canmore.

You could also check Expedia or Booking.com, I booked an absolute very nice 2 bedroom apartment in Canmore, they also had 3 bedrooms (2 on sofa), if you divide the rate by 8, it might well fit your budget.

You may also check Hi-hostels, located in Canmore, Banff or Lake Louise

hihostels.ca/1084/…

By using google "accommodation Banff" (....Lake Louise or Canmore) you will find tons of options. Take some time to check webstes, send some emails, call tourism Banff and you will soon narrow down your options.

Car rental might be an issue, you need 2 cars (because of the luggage). Are you over 25? Otherwise you will be paying an extra fee.

Depending where you stay you might not need a car, but 8 people traveling by bus adds up as well and might not be any cheaper. Search the internet, investigate your options and compare.

I found big3ski passes incredible expensive, we bought Lake Louise Plus Cards, Sunshine Marmot Cards and Mount Norquay cards. Check all three resorts websites for info, it took me quite a while to figure it out and it also depends on how long you are staying and skiing.

I noticed there are quite some offers for January, they offer rooms and skipasses as low as 69 dollar per person.

They also offer midweek passes. They were not of any use for us as we were there at X-mas and all those offers were blackout dates.

We did rent our ski equipment from one of the sports stores in Banff, Canmore has some rental store as well, much cheaper then renting on the mountain. Google is magic: google equipment rental Banff (or Canmore) and voila!

Radium Hot Springs...
reviews: 18
9. Re: Skiing in Banff

Consider renting a house in Canmore then 8 can share in the cost plus cook most of your meals. You won't find vacation rental condo or houses in Banff it us not allowed but Canmore us not far.

Edited: 9:49 pm, February 04, 2014
Reply to: Skiing in Banff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted