We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go to Banff? What to do?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
When to go to Banff? What to do?

Hello

I would like to go to Banff to see the Rockies. I cannot drive and so will be relying on buses/ tours. I would like to visit the Columbia ice field, go on the gondula. Would it be best to go end of march or end of may? These are the times I can go? Also what other things would you recommend me to do, I have a whole week. Thanks

Melissa

7 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

I would recommend the end of May, unless you are wanting a skiing or snowboarding vacation. There is nothing open at the Columbia Icefields until mid-April or so, when the Columbia Icefields Ice Explorer (Sno-Coach) tour begins operating for the season, and there are tours available from Banff that include a bus ride there. Google "explore Rockies" to find the Brewster Tours website ... they operate the Banff Sulphur Mountain gondola, the Columbia Icefields sno-coach tour and the day tour to get there.

For paid attractions and activities, have a look at www.banfflakelouise.com - this is the official tourism page for the area. For national park information, www.pc.gc.ca/banff . There are lots of hikes available from Banff townsite.

2. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

Thank you for being so helpful! This is great!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 24
3. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

If you're looking for a really nice meal while in Banff, treat yourself to a good steak (or burger!) at Saltlik restaurant, on Bear St......

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
4. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

And this TA page - Car-free in Banff -- may be helpful to you:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c155456/Banff:…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
5. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

Hello Mel P,

I will be happy to help you with information regarding your trip to the Banff Lake Louise area. Could you please tell me if you are travelling alone or with someone else?

Also, what type of activities are you interested in?

In the meantime I can tell you that the Columbia Ice-fields Centre opens for the summer 2014 season on April 18th.

I look forward to assisting you further once I hear back from you with a few details on your trip preferences.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

I am travelling to Canada in early May and staying till late July. We are starting in Vancouver and driving to Banff, Jasper. Is it too cold to have campervan this time of year? Are the roads open. We will be in that region for 3 weeks then slowly heading towards Montreal. I would appreciate any help!!!

Cheers Scott

Camden, Australia
reviews: 33
7. Re: When to go to Banff? What to do?

G'day Scott, and welcome to the TA forums,

Just a bit of advice, mate. It is considered to be not good netiquette to tag a new question, particularly one that is different to the one from original poster (OP) to an existing thread. Your post may not be seen by people who could assist as it is buried in an older thread, and in addition the OP will also have received an email advice that there is a new reply to the thread, only to find it to be a new question from you.

I strongly suggest that you go to the bottom of this page where you will find a tab "Ask a question" to start your own new thread. This makes it a lot easier to answer questions and it also avoids confusion when replies may be posted for either questions.

The people on this forum are extremely helpful, and all I am trying to do is assist you to get the best advice.

Reply to: When to go to Banff? What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted