We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

Hi

I am planning on going to Canada in July from Australia. I fly into Vancouver and out of Calgary but have limited time. I'm thinking of spending a day and a half in Vancouver and then doing one of the following options:

1. Fly to Calgary, hire a car and drive to Banff and Jasper, also visiting Lake Louise and other stops along the way.

2. Do this tour: http://www.moosenetwork.com/content.php?id=89

This spends two days on the ice fields parkway which I like.

3. keywesttravelandtours.com/COACH_WesternTrail…

I love walking so I would like to do some light trails, 5-10 km.

if anyone can advise on the best option that would be great.

Cheers

7 replies to this topic
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 71
1. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

If you want to do day hikes, it will be much easier if you have a car. Your Moose Network bus might let you off at one, but it may be a couple of days until the next Moose Network bus comes along. If hiking is a centrepiece of your trip, then Option 1 is your choice, IMO.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

Thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
3. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

Key West is a good company and they do this tour a lot. Doing it one way gives you some leisure time. It is a very quick type itinerary but you do see the highlights. The optional pricing is not marked up so they are all worth doing especially the Ice Explorer. Hotels are decent and well located. You can search on this forum for Key West and you will see some trip reports. While most people spend more time in the rockies, for those with ltd time this tour works out ok.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

I'm in total agreement with banff. The trailheads for the best hiking trails are all located some distance away from townsites so you will need a car to get there. There are trails accessible from the Banff and Jasper townsites but they are lower elevation hikes.

However, 7 days for Banff, Jasper and Vancouver is really not going to give you much time for hiking. I like your option #1 the most but as much as I hate to say it, if you want time to hike, I would leave Jasper out, or at least Jasper townsite.... just do a day trip from Banff or LL, going as far as the Columbia Icefields, and do either the Parker Ridge or Wilcox Pass hike as part of a long day touring on the Icefields Parkway. This allows you to see most of the highlights on the parkway and do a gorgeous hike into the alpine above treeline.

One other thing... the Moose Network tends to appeal mostly to younger backpacker/budget travelers and most coach tours tend to attract an older crowd (usually 60+), but of course, there are some exceptions to both.

edmonton
reviews: 45
5. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

not much time...flying to calgary and renting a car would give you the most time to hike. but, the drive through bc is beautiful and worth seeing. one thing i read today is that moose network has music playing during the entire day. that would drive me nuts. the key west tour sounds decent but i'd want to get off in banff and spend a few nights there. you could rent a car there for a couple of days to do hikes and then get a shuttle to the calgary airport. do a little more research and pick your priorities because with only 7 days...you can't do it all.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 51
6. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

1 night Vancouver

fly to Calgary: WestJet or Air Canada, 1.5 hours in the air. Rent the car and drive 2 hours to Banff.

3 nights Banff,

one full day on the Icefields Parkway

2 nights Jasper

an additional full day on the Icefields Parkway

1 final night in Banff before the 2 hour drive to Calgary Airport.

You get your two days on the IP.

Hike away at your pleasure and leisure.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days

Thanks a million guys for your responses, I think I will fly to Calgary, rent a car and pick a couple of hikes.

Cheers

Kitty

Reply to: Vancouver, Banff and Jasper in 7 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted