We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Banff to Jasper

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liphook, United...
reviews: 64
Trip from Banff to Jasper

Hi

We have a three week trip booked for August/September. We fly into Calgary and drive to Banff for our first stay. We have booked 3 nights here and then a further three nights in Jasper before getting a train further north.

We are wondering if it would be worth dropping one of the nights in either Banff or Jasper and staying somewhere overnight en route. Think it may save us some to-ing and fro-ing as we want to explore Lake Louise and the Parkways. We enjoy scenery and wildlife and gentle walking.

We are not into big hotels and enjoy the quirky, so any recommendations for a stopover would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited: 12:02 pm, January 03, 2014
5 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: Trip from Banff to Jasper

You could opt to stay at Bow Lake's Num-ti-jah Lodge, about 40 km north of Lake Louise. It might fit your desire for quirky. It is one of only four accommodations on the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper (although there are also campgrounds and hostels). (The other three are The Crossing, Glacier View Inn (very scenic and one-of-a-kind location but is comprised of a few room on the top floor of a bus terminal-like building), Sunwapta Falls Lodge.) There are also a few outlying cabin accommodations within the last few kilometres of Jasper townsite - Becker's Chalets, Jasper House Bungalows, Alpine Village, Tekarra Lodge (on 93A).

If you want to stay at Lake Louise, Deer Lodge is an older property that might suit.

Can you give a physical description of your idea of a "gentle walk" please, in terms of either distance or time? I was going to start typing some trail recommendations for Jasper National Park, but this would help narrow it down. I'm sure the Banff regulars will be along with suggestions too.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
2. Re: Trip from Banff to Jasper

I agree. Num Ti Jah sounds like it would suit your needs. http://sntj.ca/ . It is a great lodge with a neat history and stunning views. Its located right on the shore of Bow Lake on the Icefields Parkway. It has a great Lakeshore walk so you can do some gentle walking just steps from the lodge. Staying on the Icefields Parkway will give you a chance to take your time and enjoy the Parkway.

Liphook, United...
reviews: 64
3. Re: Trip from Banff to Jasper

Thank you for this. Do you think it best to drop a night in Banff or Jasper?

Our walking preference is 3 miles and no very steep long inclines!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 71
4. Re: Trip from Banff to Jasper

There is a plethora of lovely walks right around Banff townsite that will fit your description. You can read all about them on this page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c14522/Banff:…

You will also want to do the iconic lakeshore trail along Lake Louise -- early morning is recommended for this one.

And I vote for Num-ti-jah as well -- a very special place!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
5. Re: Trip from Banff to Jasper

I enjoyed Sunwapta, though the nicer rooms can be pricey in the high season. The cheaper rooms are in a hotel like block, but there are nice rooms in a variety of cabins/outbuildings which have 2 or 3 rooms each. The food is also quite good, and it's a short walk to the falls.

Num Ti Jah seems to get mixed reviews, primarily with regards to tired furniture/furnishings and mediocre food. Every hotel has it's off times/days, but I think it's probably a hotel that is more about location than service. It's not a place to go if you want the most modern furnishings and top quality rooms, but you can't beat the history & the views. Also, it can be swarmed by bus tours during the day (there's a cafe), so not the quietest of locations.

Reply to: Trip from Banff to Jasper
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted