We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff - skiing in January

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Banff - skiing in January

My husband will be working for a week in Calgary in January and we want to go skiing in Banff for 5-6 days at the end of the trip. We would like to stay in Banff and I would welcome any recommendations or suggestions as I have never been to Canada before. Also any advice on best location for skiing (we are both intermediate level). We are in our 40s an enjoy good food and wine so apres ski also of interest.

Thank you

Level Contributor
650 posts
56 reviews
11. Re: Banff - skiing in January

My thoughts:

1. Buy your gear in Calgary. Once you arrive in Banff, prices go up, selection and service go down. My preference: Ski Cellar on 17th ave SW

2. Start your ski days at Sunshine Village. Fantastic snow, lots of 'get comfortable' slopes. Fantastic scenery, especially on a clear day. Move to Lake Louise for a couple days. Great terrain and scenery, conditions more variable. Try to mix in a dinner at the Chateau Lake Louise before heading back to Banff. The night scenery at the Chateau is unbeatable. Ski Norquay only if you have a few hours, or wake up in Banff with an unmanageable hangover, but still want a few runs.

Also, I notoced you are from London, so bear in mind virtually everything will be substantially cheaper here. For undergear and general outdoorsy clothes, hit MEC www.mec.ca. Its about a 5 minute drive from the Ski Cellar and just on the edge of the downtown core .....

Have fun!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
12. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Contrary to previously posted, there are lots of options for ski gear sales and rentals in Banff. There is also lots of selection and great friendly and knowledgeable service. They are all priced competitively.

Unless your rental vehicle is extra room or has roof racks (extra charge) renting or buying ski gear in Calgary could become a hassle trying to transport the ski gear from Calgary to Banff.

There are 7 rental shops in the small Banff town and each of the 3 ski hill has their own rental shops on site.

-Mountain Magic

-Abominable Sports

.. to name a few

There are also more shops that sell ski gear if you are looking to purchase.

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
1 review
13. Re: Banff - skiing in January

I always stay at the Hidden Ridge Resort .. great rooms!! Will be there myself for a week in January.

Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
14. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Thank you all for responding with such helpful comments and information. Really looking forward to visiting Banff.

United States
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
93 reviews
15. Re: Banff - skiing in January

For intermediate skiers I would pick Lake Louise over Sunshine. Buy a 'Big 3' lift tickets and you can ski any of the ski areas and the shuttle bus fare is included. I might try different ski areas on different days to experience all that the area has to offer.

"We are in our 40s an enjoy good food and wine so apres ski also of interest."

There are many many places in Banff to eat and drink.

16. Re: Banff - skiing in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 15, 2015