We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff - skiing in January

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 2
Banff - skiing in January

Hi

My husband will be working for a week in Calgary in January and we want to go skiing in Banff for 5-6 days at the end of the trip. We would like to stay in Banff and I would welcome any recommendations or suggestions as I have never been to Canada before. Also any advice on best location for skiing (we are both intermediate level). We are in our 40s an enjoy good food and wine so apres ski also of interest.

Thank you

BOS

15 replies to this topic
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 71
1. Re: Banff - skiing in January

You will want to stay in the town of Banff, as apres ski activities abound and access to all three ski areas is easy by shuttle. Take a look at the "hotels" question under Top Questions (top right of your screen) to begin to familiarize yourself with local hotels. You will also want to visit www.skibig3.com to investigate multi-day, multi-area tickets.

Edited: 11:43 am, December 10, 2013
london
2. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Great thank you.

edmonton
reviews: 45
3. Re: Banff - skiing in January

january is typically very cold...make sure you have appropriate winter cloths so that you can enjoy your ski time. need good mitts, hats, scarves or balaclava. check out taximike.com...has some restaurant recommendations. i like magpie and stumps for some mexican food/margarittas and st jame's gate for a pub type place. as recommended, check out the hotels and pick a 2 or 3 that interest you and are in your budget, then you could come back with more specific questions.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Banff (or Jasper) in January is not normally anywhere near as cold as Edmonton in January. Here is a link to the daily weather from January earlier this year: http://preview.tinyurl.com/kahgnr3 ... where you will see that there were several days in the month that had highs above the freezing mark, and that there was a cold snap that lasted a few days, with the coldest day of the month having a high of -12 (but it did dip to -27 overnight). Yes, it can get be much colder than that (as we just had in our recent cold snap), but since lttt lives on the prairies where the winter weather is much more severe, s/he may not be aware that winter is usually a bit milder in the mountains.

When you are at the page link I gave above, you can change the "year" to view January weather for any other year, going back to 1995.

london
5. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Thank you all for your replies much appreciated.

london
6. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Hi

Thank you very much for your recommendations. We are looking at staying at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. Is this a good location for bars and restaurants and also to get shuttles to the ski lifts? Also I am looking to buy some skis while I am there can you recommend any shops?

We are travelling from Calgary by coach but when I've checked with companies such as Brewsters they don't seem to leave before 10am. Do you know any other companies that leave earlier in the morning?

Thank you

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
7. Re: Banff - skiing in January

It's a great location! Here, have a look at this map and familiarize yourself with Banff townsite: http://goo.gl/maps/AJonr The hotel is marked with the "A" pointer. It is just a couple of blocks' walk down Banff Avenue (towards the river) to the downtown area (or you can take the ROAM bus - bus stops are marked on the map), but there are restaurants at most of the hotels around the Delta. (I have stayed a couple of times at the Caribou, one block further away from downtown and enjoyed their "Keg" steakhouse restaurant.)

Sorry, can't help with the shuttles. There are two airport shuttles listed on the official tourism website for Banff, and the 10 am one seems to be the earliest. banfflakelouise.com/Plan-Your-Trip/Getting-A…

Greyhound does have a departure from Calgary at 7:45 am, though, arriving in Banff at 9:25 am. www.greyhound.ca

Edited: 12:34 pm, December 17, 2013
london
8. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Thank you really appreciate your reply - very helpful :-)

Toronto
reviews: 33
9. Re: Banff - skiing in January

Good source of information about skiing at Banff is the official website for Sunshine Village and Lake Louise: http://www.skibig3.com

If you buy your lift tickets from Big 3 shuttle bus fare is included. Shuttle bus schedule to the ski areas are here: skibig3.com/banff-lake-louise/3-banff-lake-l…

As intermediate skiers you may prefer skiing at Lake Louise, it offers more terrain for skiers of your ability than Sunshine.

The Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge looks very nice and is in a great location.

Calgary
reviews: 45
10. Re: Banff - skiing in January

My thoughts:

1. Buy your gear in Calgary. Once you arrive in Banff, prices go up, selection and service go down. My preference: Ski Cellar on 17th ave SW

2. Start your ski days at Sunshine Village. Fantastic snow, lots of 'get comfortable' slopes. Fantastic scenery, especially on a clear day. Move to Lake Louise for a couple days. Great terrain and scenery, conditions more variable. Try to mix in a dinner at the Chateau Lake Louise before heading back to Banff. The night scenery at the Chateau is unbeatable. Ski Norquay only if you have a few hours, or wake up in Banff with an unmanageable hangover, but still want a few runs.

Have fun!

Reply to: Banff - skiing in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted