We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
houston, tx
reviews: 1
About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

Hi!

My husband and I are headed to Banff, LL and Jasper on this Saturday (aug. 3) to Sunday (aug. 11). The forecast looks rainy and cold which sounds so miserable to me. We are considering moving our dates. Any suggestions? Is the forecast usually correct? All Banff residents, how has the weather been lately?

Thank you so much for your help!!

11 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 81
1. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

weather is the Rockies in never very predictable. I've been there last week and it was hot and mjuggy but not by Houston standards. Its never rained all day nor sunny all day. You often get all weather types on each day. Just go and enjoy. I've yet to have an all day bad weather day in 9 yrs and I go monthly.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
2. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

I just looked at the Jasper forecast at the Environment Canada website, which shows up to Aug. 7th: weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html… It's basically showing seasonally average values for the entire time span. Note that the days with the rain icon show a "60% chance of showers" - that likely means a sunny morning, increasing cloudiness through the day, and a shower in late afternoon or evening... a pretty common weather pattern here.

Banff is looking pretty similar.

The weather forecasts are often not terribly accurate in regards to specifics, although they usually get the trend right... although they are often "off" by a day or two. There was a thread about mountain weather here on one of the TA forums within the last few days, with someone worried about a similar forecast - 60% chance of showers... it never rained at all that day.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but this is pretty typical weather for summer in the Canadian Rockies.

edmonton
reviews: 43
3. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

are you going to change your dates often depending upon the 7 day forecast...what if you rebook and the weather forecast is worse....I've seen forecasts where it's 60% chance of rain and have had great sunny days...

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 20
4. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

A common saying about Alberta weather is... "If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes .."

houston, tx
reviews: 1
5. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

Thank you guys! You have been very helpful. We are staying with our original dates.

One other question...what should I pack. I currently have 3 pairs of pants, several light sweaters, jacket, sneakers and boots, a few t-shirts.....

halifax
reviews: 15
6. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

Hi hayleyadams04...well speaking from experience I have been to Houston,Jasper and Banff and what I want to say to you is that you are in for a treat.The weather may or may not be great but you are about to experience what I call eye candy.I wish you a wonderful holiday and one that will be one to remember!!The mountains are a site to behold and you must remember that not everyone gets to experience them and at times the weather that comes with it is what it is.Just make sure you take a warm jacket good walking shoes and above all a camera.Regards Shirley

Cheshire
reviews: 18
7. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

I arrive next Monday and I am just packing my things. I only had a lightweight jacket and shorts for the day as we like to do a lot of walking. Should I reconsider and take a bigger jacket and trousers? I am taking joggers and a fleece for the evening when it gets cooler.

I assume from reading the forums that if it rains it is usually a shower and not a whole day of horrendous rain? I just don't want it to ruin the activities we have planned.

Many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
8. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

Hi hockeylady ~

The answer lies in dressing in layers. Post 2 has a blue print link to click open to see current high and low temps and weather. If you pack for dressing in layers, you will be able to get warmer or cooler as necessary in no time.

I'm not sure you want to be left in shorts in a 7C morning temperature.

Be prepared for changeable weather, you will be at 1000-1400 metres in the mountains.

Watford,UK
reviews: 83
9. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

We have just returned from a trip of 18 days. We had much cooler weather in Banff than Jasper. In terms of packing, I had a rain mac, sweatshirt and fleece and used all 3 at different times. We were totally rained out at Lake Louise and Lake Moraine but by that evening the rain had cleared. We had one other picnic under a brolly at Athabascar falls on a day trip from Jasper.

I was glad of 2 pairs of long trousers as well as shorts and 3/4 trousers. It is best to be prepared for at least one hike or trip in the rain.

Banff and Revelstoke were the worst places for mosquitos. Bring lots and lots of DEET.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
10. Re: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!

We do occasionally get an entire, socked-in day of rain here in the Rockies, but most of the time, it's scattered showers. Just remember - there is no such thing as a "warm rain" in the Rockies... usually when a rain squall moves through, the temperature drops quite a lot.

We had a horrendous year for mosquitoes here in Jasper last summer - we'd had a record-breaking snowfall the winter before, and triple the usual amount of rain in June. This year, they're not bad at all .... here. But the Banff and Canmore area had all that rain and flooding in June, so apparently it's their year for the mossies.

Reply to: About to head to Banff - forecast is wet and cold...HELP!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted