We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Banff & LL itinerary

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Help with Banff & LL itinerary

My family is arriving in Calgary at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon and spending our first 2 nights (Fri & Sat) in Banff at the Fairmont. On Sunday morning we will drive to LL hike into the backcountry to Skoki Lodge where we will stay overnight. The next 3 nights (Mon, Tues & Wed) we will stay at the Fairmont LL until we head up the Icefields Pkwy for one night in Jasper.

I need some help in filling in the itinerary for our first 2 days in Banff and then the 3 in LL. I want to make sure we hit the "must sees" while not completely exhausting my kids (ages 8-12, but hearty hikers for their ages thank goodness!) Could we feasibly fit in one of the must sees on Friday afternoon/early evening on the day of arrival? If so, which one? How should we spend our only full day in Banff on Saturday? And then finally, suggestions for the full 2 days in LL on Tues & Wed? Thanks for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

Hi CincinnatiPokergirl ~

Have not yet had a chance to develop provisional day plans for your time in the Rockies since you posted 2 weeks ago and got very good advice for where to start researching.

Things to do for Banff are here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154911-Activiti…

Things to do for LL are here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154912-Activiti…

Things to do for Jasper are here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154918-Activiti…

What activities and attractions have you researched that you would like to fit in to your time in each location? Maybe knowing that would help to sort out order, timing and logistics.

Cincinnati
2. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

I guess my biggest and most pressing question is whether it would make sense and would we have time to try to do Johnston Canyon this evening when we get in. Or drive the Lake Minnewanka Loop? Since we really only have this evening and tomorrow in Banff itself, I want to try to get something in tonight, but I'm not sure which of these would be a good evening activity.

Our flight gets into Calgery at 1:30 this afternoon, and we will make our way directly up to Banff maybe checking in our hotel first or going directly to one of these destinations if it's on the way. I'm thinking tomorrow we would do whichever we don't get in today and/or spend some time at Yoho National Park at Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Spiral Tunnels, etc.

I don't have a full appreciation as to the drive time between these or how long we should allow for each of these. We are not really interested in the more "touristy" activities like the Gondola or the springs and would like to avoid the crowds as best we can. Any input is much appreciated.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 76
3. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

The gondola is touristy, yes, but it's also an extraordinary experience, and a good place to go in late afternoon/ early evening.

For drive times on any of your proposed destinations, go to Google maps, click on directions, enter your start point and end point, and voila!

Edited: 3:01 pm, July 26, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 36
4. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

Banff, any reason why you recommend Gondola at late afternoon or early evening? thanks

Just a comment on drive time, you should add at least 10% for drive time.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 76
5. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

Because the OP was looking for something to do that could fit in the late afternoon/evening.

6. Re: Help with Banff & LL itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 29, 2014