We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Banff, Canada
UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Great news - just received from Banff Lake Louise Tourism

IMPORTANT UPDATE: TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY RE-OPENS

June 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Parks Canada Opens Trans-Canada Highway from Town of Banff to Park's East Gate

Parks Canada is pleased to announce that the Trans-Canada Highway re-opened at 3 pm today east of the town of Banff, for both private and commercial vehicles. Due to the repairs still underway, the highway will be reduced to single-lane traffic in each direction for 12 kilometres between the park's East Gate and the turn-off to the town of Banff. The rest of the Trans-Canada Highway through Banff National Park (west of the Town of Banff) remains a divided highway with 4-lane traffic.

Alberta Transportation Opens the Trans-Canada Highway East of the Park

With the 2-lane detour now open in the park, private and commercial traffic may now travel between Golden and Calgary.

Commercial traffic is also now permitted on Highway 93 South between Castle Junction and Radium.

Please note that driving conditions are not yet back to normal in the 12-kilometre active construction zone in the park. For the safety of the travelling public, as well as those still working in the area:

- respect all traffic signs and traffic control personnel;

- obey reduced speed limits as posted;

- do not pass or stop for the length of the detour;

- be alert for wildlife (repairs to the wildlife fence are still underway); and

- prepare for unexpected delays.

All traffic regulations will be strictly enforced.

CYCLISTS PLEASE NOTE:

The Legacy Trail beside the Trans-Canada Highway remains closed for safety reasons. Sections of the trail between Banff and the park's East Gate are impassable due to flood damage. If you are on a cycle trip through the park, you must take the town of Banff's Roam shuttle bus between Banff and Canmore (see schedule at www.banff.ca). Recreational cyclists and commuters wishing to cycle between Banff and Canmore are advised that the RCMP will NOT allow bicycle traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway at this time - it is simply too unsafe. We will send out a notification when this ban is lifted.

We thank all travellers for their patience over the last week as Parks Canada, Public Works and Government Services, the Towns of Banff and Canmore, our industry and tourism partners, and the Province of Alberta have worked together to reopen this vital transportation corridor. We are working diligently toward full restoration of the Trans-Canada Highway as soon as possible.

Minnesota
reviews: 3
1. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Sweet! I was going to cancel tonight as was due to arrive this Sunday! Excellent job by all the workers and volunteers!! YES!! Can't wait! Banff here I come! It's been 27 long years since my last visit!

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 26
2. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

thanks, saw this too from http://www.canmore.ca/

seattle, wa
3. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

AWESOME! Best news this whole week!!

Calgary, Alberta...
4. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

This news will make a lot of people very happy!! Thanks to all the hard work by Parks Canada to make this happen!

Ohio
reviews: 18
5. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Amazing news. Major credit to all involved to get this stretch open. I am scheduled to land in Calgary on July 8 for a bus tour and have been eagerly reading all posts as well as multiple web pages for updates. It appears that I won't have to reschedule. Thanks to everyone who has been posting all of the updates.

Calgary
reviews: 67
6. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Excellent news! Was planning to depart tomorrow so this saves about 4 hours of driving!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
7. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

"Thanks to all the hard work by Parks Canada"

...not to mention Alberta Transportation and Volker Stevin, the contractor for road maintenance outside the park - where the biggest washout was.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
8. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Quite so!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
9. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

And TransAlta and CPR and the town of Banff and Canmore, and many others ...

seattle, wa
10. Re: UPDATE:Trans-Canada Highway RE-OPENS (Calgary-Canmore-Banff)

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get the highway open. Also, thanks to everyone who have kept travellers like me updated about the situation in Banff by posting on this forum.

Can anyone post their experience of traveling from Calgary to Banff now that the highway is open? Are there any delays because of the traffic and speed restrictions? How long did it take you on TCH to get to Banff now?

Since I will travel with 2 little kids, I just want to be prepared for any delays....

- Sonia