We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronoto
reviews: 1
State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

My husband and have a summer journey to Calgary and Banff planned for late July. Does anyone out there know if the Banff Springs Hotel was affected by the flood? We were really looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Cat Bo

1. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

Be aware that the Fairmont in Banff and Hotels.com are not issuing refunds for reservations despite the situation.

I tried to get a refund and I was told that the hotel was operating normally and it was my problem if I could not make it to the hotel due to the trans-canada being closed.

Don't do business with these kind of companies.

Windermere, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

You will be absolutely fine by late July, the roads may not be perfect but I can not imagine that it will affect you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
3. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

ProTraveller, do you have trip cancellation and interruption insurance?

Windermere, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

Pro Traveller unless you cannot get there due to flooding in your own neighbourhood you should be fine. There are routes/detours through to Banff now from all directions. You shouldn't have any issues big enough to stop you going.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
5. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

I've been at the Banff Sprngs for the past 4 nights, and it has definately been business as usual. Apart from the Town of Banff losing power for a few hours last night, the hotel appeared to be operating all facilities as normal. There is no reason for you to cancel your holiday, and no reason for the BSH to offer a penalty-free cancellation. You can now get from Calgary to Banff via Red Deer, so access shouldn't be a problem for you. By the way, I've booked many reservations with BSH and other Fairmont hotels through the Fairmont website which were fully cancellable for any reason. If you've booked through hotels.com, then your difficulty is caused by their terms, not Fairmont's. Once you involve a third party booker into the equation, you have to deal with their terms.

When you say 'don't do business with these kinds of companies', I totally agree. By that I mean, don't do business with third party travel booking sites. I stay about 40 nights per year with assorted Fairmont properties, and never have a problem with them.

6. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:14 am, June 23, 2013
montreal
reviews: 1
7. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

This a time when the tourist areas should be supported not put down ... the floods were a natural disaster not the fault of any hotel or industry ..... I have no doubt that the province and the people of the areas from Calgary to Banff will do whatever can be done to carry on business as usual in as a safe manner as soon as possible . Support the tourist industry don't condone it they would never put anyone in harms way ...

Edited: 1:08 pm, June 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
reviews: 6
8. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

We are flying into Calgary this Friday for a trip to Banff and Jasper. I understand that Jasper is fine. Can anyone on the ground report if downtown Banff was hit by the flooding and if the dining/shopping establishments are open as usual? Also could someone post the easiest way to get there from the Calgary airport?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
9. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

If you were arriving RIGHT NOW, you would need to go via Red Deer and then the Icefields Parkway. Here's that route on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/6QJoK

That would add about 3.5 hours to your normal travel time.

But keep an eye on the official road report at 511.alberta.ca for news on the re-opening of the Trans-Canada Hwy between Calgary, Canmore and Banff. It is constantly updated. The red roads are closed. Exclamation mark icons show additional closures - click on them for details. Those icons also show additional information on the red closures and may give you predictions on when the roads might reopen.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 24
10. Re: State of Affairs at Banff Springs Hotel

We booked at the Fairmont for Friday June, 21 and June 22nd. I know it's not recommended, but we took a chance on Booking.com (excellent service!), and paid a non refundable, no cancellation trip. We even took advantage on their lowest price guarantee and saved an extra 100 bucks when the prices dropped.

We called on Friday, hoping that we could still get through to Banff, Booking.com called the Fairmont and we were granted a refund. I called a second time on Saturday, was holding out hope that the roads would get better, but sadly no. We had no problems getting a refund, and no problems cancelling. I think it's because there was no possible way that we could through and obviously out of our hands.

While I would certainly not recommend planning a trip without some kind of insurance, we had no problems using a 3rd party website and they did what they could to help us out.