We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

Dear,

I have booked 2nights hotel in Canmore and 2nights in Jasper. After reading some questions/answers here, I noticed that my trip time is a bit earlier. The lakes might still be frozen. Some trails might be covered by snow or closed.... Can anyone give me some adivces on where/what I should visit (must see) during these 5 days in Banff/Jasper? Due to the health condition, I do not want to have too much hiking.

Thanks.

Hartford...
1. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

More Info:

Day 0: arrive 9pm Calgary - overnight Calgary

Day 1: Icefield Parkway to Jasper - overnight Jasper

Day 2: sightseeing around Jasper, overnight Jasper

Day 3: sightseeing Lake Louise, overnight Canmore

Day 4: Lake Louise/Banff sightseeing/, overnight Canmore

Day 5: leftover sightseeing around Banff, drive to Calgary for 10pm flight

Any suggestions on my itinerary would be appreciated!

Edmonton, Alberta
reviews: 28
2. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

I would take the Columbia Icefield tour (you ride in a BIG bus thing) near Jasper.

I would go on a half day white water raft trip....lots of fun (easy for all ages and fitness levels.

The weather is SO hit & miss. You could have snow or hot (shorts) weather. Plan for both.

Banff is much busier than Jasper but both are beautiful towns.

Enjoy the wildlife.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
3. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

Yes, the high glacial lakes, such as Louise, Moraine, Bow, Peyto etc. are quite likely to still be frozen, but they are still beautiful. The higher hiking trails (subalpine, alpine) will still be snowy, but there are plenty of valley bottom and lower elevation hikes and walks to do.... Johnston Canyon in Banff NP, and Maligne Canyon in Jasper NP are two I would recommend. The latter is often part of a day or half-day excursion up the Maligne valley, however, the boat cruise on Maligne Lake will not yet be operating and the hiking trails up there will still be snowy, so you likely won't need a full day. There are a couple of lake-level walks though that are not too long and will probably be accessible.

Another option for the Jasper area is to drive west into BC, to Mt. Robson Provincial Park. Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies is an hour west of Jasper townsite, and you can also visit Rearguard and Overlander Falls. It is a beautiful drive - lots of gorgeous scenery. Moose Lake is en route and gorgeous too.

Shorter excursions in the Jasper townsite area, some with options for short walks, include Pyramid Lake (and Island), and Lake Annette ... there is no shortage of things to do and see; you will not have any trouble filling the time allotted for the area.

Manitoba, Canada
reviews: 19
4. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

I have been to Banff numerous times and my itinerary always includes a walk along the spectacular canyon at Johnstons Canyon. It is located between Lake Louse and Banff on Highway 1A which is a scenic alternative to the main highway. You can walk as far as your health permits and rest on benches along the way. There is a pretty waterfall along the walk.

The Spiral Tunnel and Takakkaw Falls are located not to far from Lake Louise and are very scenic spots. Google both for more information.

The river walk right in the town of Bannf is very pretty and take a look at the Banff Springs Hotel.

Edited: 8:49 am, April 28, 2013
5. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, May 04, 2013
6. Re: Banff and Jasper for 5 days (4 nights) from May 25th-29th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 06, 2014