We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

altitude problems in the canadian rockies

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton
altitude problems in the canadian rockies

Will be traveling the beginning of June and worried about the altitude. Anyone have any problems?? What about on a short helicopter excursion ?

Thxs

ARL

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

Banff Townsite is only 1,463 metres/4,800 feet. Lake Louise is only 1,750 metres/5,741 feet.

To put that into perspective, Federal Aviation Regulations state that the maximum normal operating altitude for the cabin of commercial passenger aircraft be limited to 2,438 metres/ 8,000 feet.

Cheers,

Terry

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
2. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

And to add to Terry's excellent information, the town of Jasper is at slightly less than 1100 metres, or about 3500 feet - the same elevation as Calgary. Elevation is not considered "high" until 8000 feet. Obviously if you have any sort of medical condition that makes any increase in elevation problematic for you, you should consult your doctor, but if you have no difficulties with flying to get to the Canadian Rockies, you shouldn't have a problem while you are visiting.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 19
3. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

Although water does boil at a slightly lower temperature, so increase your cooking time for soft boiled eggs (learned this lesson in Kananaskis). Other than that, you shouldn't notice much difference :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

Good point, Kimmer. ;)

ARL, since you live at a lower elevation, you may notice that you are more winded than you think is usual for a similar rate of exertion as at home. (You probably won't notice anything if you are not exerting yourself.) I do notice it, especially early in the hiking season, when I go up a couple of thousand feet above where I live and start walking uphill.... but I live at 3500 feet and might notice it when I am above 5500 or 6000 feet. My father lives close to sea level and really notices it when he comes out to visit me (he is a very fit 80 years old), even at the Jasper townsite elevation, over 3000 feet higher than he lives at, so we start off with easier, lower elevation hikes. Since you live at sea level, you will probably notice it a bit at any of the locations already mentioned.

I took my first-ever helicopter ride here in the Rockies last summer at Mt. Robson, but I think any breathlessness I felt had more to do with the stunning scenery. ;-)

Edited: 3:35 am, April 06, 2013
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
5. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

I've had thousands of passengers on tours and altitude sickness has never happened. Denver I've had problems but not in the Rockies. Peyto Lake is about the highest point which is about 6900' and even then its been fine for people.

6. Re: altitude problems in the canadian rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 08, 2014