We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

g p s

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 5
g p s

I'm arriving in Calgary and going to Banff and wondering if I really need to rent a GPS.

Anyone have any thoughts and any special places to go?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
1. Re: g p s

Have a look at a map website such as www.maps.google.com , and you'll see that there are not that many routes in the mountains. A GPS is nice to have, if you have your own, but I don't think it's worthwhile to be paying $10 a day for it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: g p s

Welcome to the forum, cloudseeker ~

<<Any special places to go?>> Nope, Banff's really boring. :-))

The GyPSy Guide is a GPS triggered commentary that kicks in when you approach an attraction that it's programmed for. It's a rental and you can read about it here.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154911-d1…

cloudseeker, you've just got to do some research. Look to the right side and read the Top Questions.

Have a look at this website: http://www.banfflakelouise.com/

Have a look at this map and open the PDF that is linked near the bottom of the map:

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx

Google is a fantastic tool to find out more. When you've got a bit of a plan run it by the locals here on the forum.

When? How long do you have? How many in your group? What are your interests?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: g p s

I brought a gps with me on one trip however almost no points of interest are listed so it makes it pretty worthless.I sure wouldn't spend any money on renting one as mentioned there aren't many roads to get lost on.

San Francisco
4. Re: g p s

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm leaning away now from getting the GPS. Have a great day1!

San Francisco
5. Re: g p s

Thanks for the great ideas. Gypsy looks like it would be very useful. I am planning the Johnston icefields walk and a nature tour that same morning. I also am going to visit the wofl/dog farm in Canmore. I am traveling for 4 days in April, staying Canmore and really 3 full days. Love nature and activities, possibly skiing, snowshoeing? iceskating, the hot mineral baths.

Boring? Haha.

San Francisco
6. Re: g p s

Thanks for your response. It sounds like the GyPsY will be more useful for a day.

Seattle, Washington
7. Re: g p s

We rented a Gypsy guide in maui for the road to hana and absolutely loved it! It was like our own tour guide, that helped us decide which stops might interest us most and pointed out neat things we may have never noticed (like the rainbow eucalyptus trees) We plan to rent it for the canadian rockies/ icefields parkway this summer.

San Francisco
8. Re: g p s

Thanks, sounds like a great idea.

Seattle, Washington
9. Re: g p s

I just did some more research on the gypsy guide app and if you have an iphone or iPad its much cheaper downloading each route on the app than renting the actual gps box. It doesn't use your data or roaming either if you're international.

San Francisco
10. Re: g p s

Thanks --- that's good to know. I don't have any i-equipment but I know you can order software to load onto a current GPS but it's cheaper to rent one. So many choices! Best.