We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many hotels -help me choose

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
anu
reviews: 42
Too many hotels -help me choose

Summer stay in Banff for 3 to 4 nights.

Would like to find a hotel close to downtown, Definately walkable.

Not budget, comfortable attractive rooms, good views.

Will need parking and maybe breakfast.

Happy to pay for the righ place but can't seem to find it.

Thanks for all your help.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

This TripAdvisor Traveler Article, "Banff Hotel Districts and Amenities", should help you narrow things down a bit. It includes is a list of hotels arranged by proximity to downtown:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c54863/Banff:…

Generally speaking, "good views" and "close to downtown" are two features that aren't seen in the same hotel.

anu
2. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

thank you, I have read the article you suggested already and sadly it hasn't helped me at all just confused me!

I have checked through the links and looked at the websites but would like some personal opinions

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

almost all of the hotels in Banff are located on Banff ave. At times that can be a busy a loud road, especially since most hotels do not have a/c so your windows may be open. I can suggest the Banff Park Lodge. They have nice rooms are 1 block from the main town and have nice amenities. The 'view' may not be great but then no hotel on Banff Ave will have a 'view' in the sense that you may want. Bowview is their sister property and more motel like but right on the Bow River. If you ask for a river view room you will have a 'view'. Both are convenient to downtown.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
4. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

Perhaps if you could define two things, folks on the forum can provide the best advice possible for you.

1. what does "walkable" mean to you? 5 minutes' walk from Banff's main intersection? 10 minutes' walk? 15?

2. what's your accom budget per night? "Not budget" means different things to different people.

Just as a note, lots of hotels on Banff Avenue, even the Mount Royal which is right at Banff and Caribou, have some rooms with spectacular views, and some without.

And it is not common here, as it is in Europe, to have breakfast included in your room. However, if you are near downtown, there will be many breakfast options, probably in your hotel as well. It's just that you pay for them separately.

anu
5. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Walkable to me means 20 - 25 mins to walk to get dinner.

Not budget means up to $400CD

Just need a comfortable room with king bed, would like it to have a good view but not vital if it's great hotel.

happy to walk or drive for breakfast!

Thanks again to you all

calgary
reviews: 2
6. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

For that amount of money, I'd stay at the Rimrock. You can walk down to town in about 20 minutes and take the shuttle back up. Alternatively, you might even be able to find a room at the Banff Springs for that amount.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 68
7. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

For 349 plus tax, you can get a Superior king room with view at the Fox, including parking, breakfast. It's about a 12 minute walk to the main downtown intersection from there, and you get a free pass for the Roam transit system from your hotel.

anu
8. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

thank you so much for your help with this, think I will go with The Fox.

Thanks again

Banff, Canada
reviews: 60
9. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

For that money go to the Fairmont. If you want to experience Banff this is the place to stay.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
10. Re: Too many hotels -help me choose

There are pros and cons to the Fairmont Banff Springs. It is huge - make sure you get a map when you check in, and carry it with you. Parking there can be a pain and/or expensive. Many of the rooms are not that thrilling, and you pay a premium for them anyway, because you're in the the Banff Springs. It's not really convenient to downtown Banff.

On the other hand, the history and the ambiance of the public spaces can't be beat, and most of the restaurants are excellent most of the time. (Every restaurant can have an 'off' night.)