We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper to Vancouver

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 12
Jasper to Vancouver

Is it best to stop for one or two nights to break up the journey from Jasper to Vancouver?

We will be travelling in the summer and after experiencing the scenery of Banff and Jasper, we wonder whether the rest of the journey will be an anti climax. I should be very grateful for any suggestions.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 64
1. Re: Jasper to Vancouver

Yes, a stop overnight between Jasper and Vancouver is recommended for everyone who hasn't driven the road a zillion times before. If you're taking the Hwy 5 (via Valemount), you're pretty much stuck with Kamloops (unless you want to make a fairly early stop at Clearwater). If you're going via Hwy 93N (Icefields Parkway) and then Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy), you can choose Golden, Revelstoke, Sicamous, Salmon Arm, or Kamloops (from east to west), depending on how much driving you want to do. I'd recommend Salmon Arm and Revelstoke for places to spend time in. Revelstoke has an excellent railway museum, the fabled Columbia River, and the Micah Dam to explore. Salmon Arm is a small city on the shores of Shuswap Lake and has the long pier, houseboats (free tours daily), a nature reserve, movie theatres, and some shopping and restaurants. (Revelstoke may also have these things, I'm just a bit more familiar with Salmon Arm.)

The drive from Jasper to Kamloops via the Icefields Parkway is well worth doing; the scenery is very nice. The rest of the trip is not as impressive, but it has its moments.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 35
2. Re: Jasper to Vancouver

Well, you could return to Calgary and fly. Its worth considering that option.

You could spend weeks exploring the wonderful scenery and experiences throughout the interior of BC, but if you don't have time in your plans to stop along the way, then you have to weigh your options.

Two nights would allow you to keep your driving to 4 - 5 hours and take in some scenery along the way. My vote would be first night Revelstoke and second night Kelowna.

3. Re: Jasper to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2014