We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 4
Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

We have time for a one week trip (approx 7 days). We were going to fly into Calgary (from NY) and spend 3-4 days in and around Banff - then fly to Vancouver and spend 3 days in Vancouver and the surrounding area and fly home from Vancouver. We are just starting our planing and research - does this schedule make sense or are we trying to squeeze too much in? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
1. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

In my opinion, you're trying to squeeze too much in. What you really want to do is fly into Calgary and spend 7 days in Banff National Park and Jasper NP. You'll lose a full day transitioning to Vancouver, and I can't think of anything in Vancouver - although it's a great city and I like it a lot - that can compete with the Rockies and the spectacular Icefields Parkway drive between Banff and Jasper.

However, you know yourself best. If there are things in Vancouver that you have been dying to see for years, by all means, spend time there.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
2. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

agree, but see my answer on Vancouver forum also

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
3. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

It's true, the Rockies need time. But what do you want to do and see in the Rockies? Hiking, walking the trails, walking in to waterfalls, riding gondolas up mountains take time, so that would be a factor. And what would you want to do and see in Vancouver if you went there. Finding where the weight falls will inform your decision. I don't think you would need to spend a week in Vancouver to experience it. You don't say when you are planning this trip, but a good target date would be between mid June and mid September.

USA
reviews: 9
4. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

Been thinking of the same thing....flying on a Saturday to Calgary...explore Banff on Sunday, then Lake Loiuse area on Monday..then ice fields parkway on Tuesday...then fly to Vancouver on Wednesday and do whatever there including Victoria then fly back home Saturday or Sunday...or should I stay in Banff on Wednesday and fly to Vancouver on Thursday?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
reviews: 71
5. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

Banff and Vancouver are marginally do-able in 7 days. Banff, Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway, Vancouver and Victoria are definitely not do-able in 7 days -- unless you're on The Amazing Race.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
6. Re: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?

Hi CCTX03, welcome to the forum ~

Generally it is not a good idea to tag on your new and unique travel question to another thread for another member. Especially one that is a year old. Next time, start a new question where your question and your user name can be seen by many sets of eyes. Notice that your invisible question took almost 12 hours to be noticed.

Not sure what time of year you are talking about, but the IP can be done half way from Banff and back as a day trip, or a whole day with an overnight in Jasper.

Vancouver is good for 4 days. Getting to Victoria from Vancouver takes about 4 hours one way by land/ferry.

Your plan is not viable as is.

Reply to: Banff/Vancouver in one trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted