We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers to the Rockies

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Bergholt...
reviews: 35
First Timers to the Rockies

I'm looking for a little advice regarding accommodation. There will be 6 of us arriving in Calgary late July (family of four + two parents in their 70's). The intention is to stay in Banff for 3 nights, Jasper for 2, Kamloops for 1, Kelowna for 2, Harrison Hot Springs for 2, arriving in Vancouver on day 11. Luckily, we are house swapping for our stay in Vancouver/Victoria, so accom is not a problem. Biggest dilemma is trying to get a place in each town that offers Mum & Dad a seperate chalet/lodge/room as Dad needs his privacy for medical reasons. Therefore, one big lodge for 6 isn't really comfortable for him. So the ideal would be a room/lodge for 4 and a similar place for 2. I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable with cutting corners. We would also like to cook for ourselves on some nights. I've had a look at Douglas Fir in Banff and Jasper Inn in Jasper. Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks - much appreciated.

Sussex, England
reviews: 16
1. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

You could look at a self catering apartment at Rundle Manor Apartments in the centre of Banff. http://www.bestofbanff.com/rma/. They have studio, one and two bedroom apartments, the later with a separate lounge which has sofa beds and kitchen. You don't have to cook for yourself as there are plenty of restaurants, but it is very useful for drinks and snacks. Ask for one on a lower floor if your parents have a difficulty with stairs. Bookings are done via the Banff Lodging Company, which runs many hotels and apartments in Banff.

In Banff we stayed at Jasper House Bungalows just outside of town, beside the Athabasca River, where you would also be able to get two separate chalets to suit your party. http://www.jasperhouse.com/

Can't help you on the other places - sorry

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
2. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

For accommodations in Jasper, you might want to try home accommodations. Some of the homes have more than one unit or suite, sometimes one larger one & one smaller one. The listings at www.stayinjasper.com are searchable - you could search on number of units and number of guests, as well as a bunch of other criteria. I just tried it and a number of homes came up that might suit you. Home accommodations/B&B are about half the cost of a hotel stay. If you have specific requirements, ask lots of questions if you don't see the info in the listings or on their website - hosts should be happy to answer your questions. If you start making enquiries now for late July, you should not have too much trouble finding what you want - the rush for bookings really starts in March and April.

Oshawa, Canada
reviews: 25
3. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

Becker's Chalets in Jasper has both 4-plex and duplex units, some of which are wheelchair accessible. Very beautiful place on the banks of the Athabasca River.

www.beckerschalets.com

Banff
reviews: 1
4. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

You might consider Douglas Fir Resort in Banff - they sometimes have a really great deal over the internet, and have a variety of accomodation styles. Also try Tunnel Mountain Chalets. Both are on Tunnel Mountain, and can easily access The Town Of Banff via the transit service or by car. If you want to check their sites, they are

www.douglasfir.com

www.tunnelmountain.com

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
5. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

Hi Dugard, regarding Jasper Inn - we stayed there and were a little disappointed. Nothing actually wrong with it - perhaps it's a little 'tired' was our though - but it compared unfavourably with all the other places in which we stayed in the fantastic Rockies and Vancouver.

East Bergholt...
reviews: 35
6. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

Thanks everyone. I've made enquiries about Douglas Fir and Beckers, so it's nice to see that you guys have recommended both of them. Found both places really helpful. Helpful hotels?? Now there's a novelty!!

Calgary,AB
reviews: 3
7. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

For Banff try the a bed and breakfast I will find the one we stay at and post it.

London, Canada
reviews: 44
8. Re: First Timers to the Rockies

For your Kelowna stay, I would like to suggest Casa Loma Resort. We stayed there last year for 2 days too, booking in advance is recommended. It's a 2 bedroom condo (#202) accomodation right on the lake with patio overlooking the pool,jacuzzi and lake. It has a small beach and boat docks. Reasonable rates considering...

Enough space for the whole family. (one br has queen, the other 2 twins plus a sofa bed in the living room)Having a full kitchen there does help... table for 6 plus the patio is huge and has a table as well.

They have gas BBQ's available outside for cooking, lots of fun!

You are close to the wineries and just a short drive away from the main commercial are on the other side of the bridge.

We really enjoyed ourselves there and even wished we had more time.

Enjoy your trip...