We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

Bristol, England
reviews: 243
Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

We have just returned from a wonderful trip touring BC and Alberta in an RV, ending up in Calgary for the Stampede.

We had many questions whilst planning and would like to say thank you to many destination experts and other contributors who helped us so much - in the Banff and Jasper forums as well as Calgary.

Thank you everyone for your help.

We have submitted several reports about places we visited in the hope of giving something back to this great resource.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
1. Re: Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

I'm so glad to hear everything went well for you, Brissle!

When you have a chance, I'd love to know who you rented your RV with, and if things worked well with the rental. There have been posts recently complaining about certain RV rental firms, and some quick notes about your experience would help give a more rounded picture.

TA doesn't currently accept reviews of RV rental firms, so forum posts are the only source of information for your fellow TA members.

Bristol, England
2. Re: Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

CountryWife - this may be more detail than you wanted, but could help others in making a choice.

We booked our RV through a UK booking agency called motorhomebookers.com.

They deal with several companies and provide a price comparison opportunity.

I found the best deal with them was for a CanaDream RV.

Because I booked last year we were given several "early booker" incentives, such as no one-way fee and free mileage packages. We also had a rather large RV (33ft) with push-out sides at very little extra cost - just because we fancied having the luxury of all that space. It was no problem to drive.

We had also rented an RV from Great Alaskan Holidays for 12 days in Alaska, prior to coming back down to BC, so we had a direct comparison between two companies. Both RVs were Winnebagos with same cab and engine, but the BC one had a larger body. Internal fittings were almost identical (cooker, fridge, sink, etc.

We were slightly anxious about the CanaDream RV, having read some unflattering comments in the TA forum, but were pleasantly surprised that we had few problems.

The Chief Exec for CanaDream had responded to some adverse comments last year and I took the liberty of contacting him direct (by PM) to ask for his reassurance that problems had been resolved. He replied very positively and assured us that things had improved. I would not have hesitated to contact him direct if we had had any difficulties.

The CanaDream RV was a current year model and in good order and had been decently cleaned. The bedding, linen and cooking and eating items were complete, clean and plentiful. The initial handover was very thorough and conducted by a very friendly and relaxed guy. (That was a big difference from GAH in Anchorage, where we were shown a video and then just given the keys and left to find our own way around - not ideal for travelers from outside north America who are unfamiliar with the design and operation of your RVs.)

We did have a couple of problems which were an inconvenience towards the end of the trip when the weather became hot. The seal on the toilet would not shut properly due to vibration whilst moving and we could smell the chemical inside the van whilst traveling. As we were nowhere near a CanaDream depot we decided to stick it out and wait to tell them at the end. It was not a problem when we were parked as I could fiddle with the seal to make it work. We just drove with windows open for the last few days.

Also the dump pipe had a split in it and leaked inside the locker - I resolved this by throwing a couple of buckets into the locker each time we dumped, to clean it out.

That's probably more infomation than you wanted...!!!

We would have liked the option to rent a propane barbeque (as we did in Alaska). We enjoy cooking outdoors and a "gas" barbeque is the most convenient. Firepits are OK, but not always convenient (even if available), especially if it's raining.

You were a great help with advice in our planning stages - thank you for everything.

I did submit a travel report for our Alaska tour and included in that a number of comments about the GAH RV. I have not done a similar trip report for BC / Alberta because I have just submitted individual reports on many places we visited on this leg of our Grand Tour - including Grouse Mountain, Minter Gardens, Nakusp Hot Springs, Icefields Parkway, Maligne Canyon, Banff Gondola, Lake Louise, Calgary Stampede and three accommodations and restaurants.

Please feel free to use or reproduce these comments for others to see if you think that might help them.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
3. Re: Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

Thanks so much for that feedback, Brissle! It's perfect, exactly what I was hoping for (but didn't dare ask for ;-). I'll create a link to it in the Traveller Article on renting an RV for the Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

Bristol, England
4. Re: Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

You are very welcome.

If there's anything else I can help with don't be afraid to ask - we owe a lot to TA and people such as yourself who were so helpful to us.

5. Re: Thank you for helping us plan a wonderful trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 10, 2012