We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peso or dollars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
peso or dollars

Will be at Mayan Palace on wed. Was wondering if we need more pesos or dollars. Do taxi take dollars or do we need to have pesos with us when we arrive at airport?Any help would be appreciated.

chicago
reviews: 1
1. Re: peso or dollars

You may want to have pesos just because then you can be exact with the money and change. It will be hard to convert dollars to pesos and then the driver may end up with a bigger tip than you wanted to give him. but then again...he may just give you your change in pesos. If it were me, i would exchange just enough to get you through the cab ride and then xchange the rest at your hotel. hope this helps.

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 57
2. Re: peso or dollars

Taxis will take dollars, but I agree that you're better to use pesos.

We've found that the best rate of exchange is to use your bank card and the worst is at hotels or resorts. There are two ATMs in the airport: one right on your left as you come out of Customs and one in in the middle of the airport near where you would come into the Departure area (easy to find because it's not a big airport).

Granite Bay, CA
reviews: 3
3. Re: peso or dollars

We are frequent visitors to the P.V. area. On our last visit, we didn't change ANY money to pesos except to ride the bus.

Calgary, AB
4. Re: peso or dollars

I think that pesos are easier since that's the Mexican currency.

I have been there many times.

Calgary, AB
5. Re: peso or dollars

Just came back from Nuevo Vallarta and pesos are way better. Everytime you ask a taxi driver how much it costs they tell you in pesos. So I recommend that you have pesos definately.

Long Island, NY
reviews: 4
6. Re: peso or dollars

Just got back from Nuevo(Mayan Palace). Only changed money when we wanted to take the bus into town, and for taxi. Otherwise, if in restaurant, used charge card. I think we only changed total of $40-50 dollars total.