We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
Tipping

We are travelling to Dreams Villamagna next week. There seems to be a wide range of money that folks leave for tips for meals, chamber maid etc. How much is "the norm"?

N.H.
reviews: 1
1. Re: Tipping

Welcome to the forum:

We tip the maid a couple bucks a day.

We tip the pool service every other drink.

We tip for a good meal if the service is also good $5.00.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
reviews: 34
2. Re: Tipping

Welcome to trip advisor

If yougo to the PV forum page there is an ongoing thread on this very subject with some good info.

Enjoy Dreams VM. We just returned from our 4th time there last month. Hope you have as good a time as we did.

Kansas City
reviews: 6
3. Re: Tipping

We travel to Mx 1 to 2 times a year. We tip housekeeping $50 Pesos a day, Bellman $50 Pesos min, 20 percent on all dinning and or drinks, $20 Pesos min for taxi. Air fair from the Mid West is $500 or more / person. If you can afford that you can afford to tip those who take care of you during your trip. "To whom much is given, much is expected in return"!

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
4. Re: Tipping

We tip the maid 20-30 pesos per day. Plus my wife always likes to give them a little gift. A roll of Lifesavers, some socks or stockings. It's her thing and I'm cool with it.

We tip the Bellman 50 pesos for luggage and 20 pesos for getting us a cab.

We tip the waiter a percentage of the bill and I usually slip the waiter 50 pesos to keep the OPCs operating in the restaurant out of my hair during dinner.

Have a great time in N.V. I wish I was there about now. It's -30 C with the wind chill in Calgary. Merry Christmas.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 113
5. Re: Tipping

You won't get the non-tippers responding here so it is difficult to get a balanced answer on this always hot and personal subject. The thread on the Pacific Coast forum page goes on for a dozen pages and is far from conclusive.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
reviews: 34
6. Re: Tipping

I'm always puzzled by the "non-tippers". I'm guessing they tip at home so why wouldn't they tip in Mexico?

I have always found that the service in Mexico is more attentive and friendly. And they work longer hours for a LOT less money.

I don't understand why when you can allot so much money on a trip that you can't set aside a small percentage extra for tipping.

Just my 2 pesos worth.

Sherwood Park...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Tipping

Agreed, But what i really would like to know is what happens to there manners?? They don't even bother with Please and Thank-you?? Don't even worry about Por Favor and Gracias. Just a please and thank-you??? Really makes me wonder.

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 1
8. Re: Tipping

Thank you Bob and Mark

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 5
9. Re: Tipping

As a bartender in Calgary.....the non-tippers in Mexico don't tip at home either!!

Edmonton
reviews: 14
10. Re: Tipping

Sometimes I think the issue is clouded by the brochures people get from the tour operators that say "gratuities included". For people who don't travel much, they read this and think that's the norm. I really wish they would take that out of their all inclusive descriptions. It's not in the details of non AI's though.