We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Freehold, New Jersey
reviews: 11
Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

We just returned from the Grand Velas and I'd be happy to answer any questions. This was our second trip there.

N.H.
reviews: 1
1. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

Hopefully you had a good time.................We leave for Hard Rock Vallarta Saturday.

Mountain View, CA
reviews: 7
2. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

We'll be there this Friday, our third trip there.

What was the occupancy level like ?

On Wed evening, did they do the Mexican folk dance ? Did they bring in Mariachis ? Did Azul have Mexican themed dinner that night ?

Freehold, New Jersey
3. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

We arrived on a Sat and left on a Sat. The occupancy when we arrived was about 200 rooms (say 80%) but quickly dropped on Sunday. They then had a conference (LG) in for a mid-week trade-show, but it was only 1-2 nights it seemed (they threw a big party with a live band which we crashed...) On Thursday it picked up again in terms of occupancy and I believe there was another corporate group that started arriving Friday. There was no problem getting a chair by the pool, so overall, it was not that crowded. We also had no trouble getting our desired dinner reservation, even late in the day for that night.

They did have the mexican night in the theatre area, but we did not attend. It was over by the time we were done with dinner. I don't know if Azul had mexican that night, we never ate dinner there.

We were there two years ago, and were very pleased to see not only the same level of service, but many of the same faces working there that we remembered from the prior trip.

We stayed in room 730, which I would highly recommend. It had a great view and was in the center of the building.

Mountain View, CA
reviews: 7
4. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

great. thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
5. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

boz,

I havent seen many posts of late on Cecilo at the pool bar..is he back for another winter season?

Thanks

Dennis

Freehold, New Jersey
6. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

Dennis,

Indeed Cecilo is still there slinging drinks as always. He was one of the familiar faces we spent some time with. Ruben at the pool bar is also a great guy.

New Hampshire
7. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

Fantastic,

Always ensure we take good care of him. Jesus in Frida/Piaf is another of our regualrs. Juan used to be the go to guy at frida but he took a job at dreams i hear. thank you for the update. we wil be there on thursday

Dublin, California
8. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

I'm thinking about booking our first visit to PV area in March and have a couple questions.

What is the beach like? Swimmable or too dangerous for that?

Are there enough shade umbrellas on the beach/pool for those who like being out of direct sunlight?

How are beach/pool towels handled ? Towel card, only one out at a time or can I take 2 or 3 at a time if I want?

Orange County, CA
reviews: 12
9. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

Beach and ocean are great. No problems. Great open wide beach for walking. Swimming just great. No towel cards which I love. Get as many towels as you want. Plenty of umbrellas by pool and beach. Even some cabanas on the beach if you can snag one. Absolutely love Grand Velas. Don't always love when the big corporate groups come in as they can sometimes be a little obnoxious but no other complaints. Food is amazing. Have been 4 times. Most recently this past May.

Freehold, New Jersey
10. Re: Just Back from Grand Velas - Any Questions

Kellsma is correct. Plenty of umbrellas by the pool, there seemed to be more cabanas on the beach this time than the last time we were there, so as long as you were down by 10am or so, there did not seem to be a wait to snag a cabana. All the towels you want, and they have done away with the chair reservation system that was in place two years ago. Just wander down to the pool and select a chair, no need to sign up for it at the towel hut anymore.