We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias and Red Tide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Bucerias and Red Tide

My wife has found a blog written by an American couple and they had recently visited Bucerias which I think they had said was 45 minutes North of Puerto Vallarta and said that they had run into Red Tide in Bucerias. As I had lived in Clearwater, Florida when this menace visited there, I was curious how far South the Mexican coast it had spread. Also is it anywhere where the whales visit? We are planning on visiting in late January and were curious about this issue.

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 1
1. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

Red Tide at nite Sailors delight

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 89
2. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

The red tide will be long gone by then. It has been around the Bay of Banderas for a few weeks but seems to be going away.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
3. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

"Red Sky at night...Sailor's delight"

Illinois
4. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

Thanks for your posting and information Sioux4noff. My wife will be relieved.

SoCal
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 2
5. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

I lived near the beaches of SoCal for most of my younger years, red tides came and went a few times a year, and except for the waves having a bit of a phosphorescent glow at night nobody paid much attention to them. We who body surfed and the board surfers were always out in it if the waves were good.

We still get them here in SoCal, I was wondering when they became a 'menace'.

Spruce Grove, Canada
6. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

Will the resort inform us if we need to stay out of the water? Or is there a site we can visit that updates water quality?

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
7. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

I was in Bucerias when the red tide hit a few weeks ago. Within hours there were hundreds of dead fish on the beach and floating in the waves. We didn't see anyone swimming for a few days, but you could see it clearing up, and people were back in the water. We have been told to not eat oysters for a few weeks after a red tide.

Surrey, Canada
8. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

Never eat shell fish after Red tide

9. Re: Bucerias and Red Tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 16, 2013