We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 19
Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

I'm in the process of planning a trip for December, and trying to decide which Mayan Palace to stay at (NV, PV, RM, or Cabo). From what I've heard Nuevo is one of the nicer spots. I've read countless reviews of the resort, but would like insight from those that have been recently.

Is the construction still under-way? If so, does that mean I would automatically be upgraded to GM?

It looks like the resort is about 30 min from town, but are there any restaurants close enough to walk to, so that the resort is not the only food option?

Any other insight is greatly appreciated!

Gull Lake, Mi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

Yes, there is lots of construction going on in Nuevo, but we have been there several times and will be going again next month. It doesn't bother us, in fact it's fun to watch the progress. There are several local restaurants that you can walk to but it is fun to go into PV at least once, it's a great town! I am not sure if you would be upgraded to the GM or not, I believe part of the MP is still standing. Good luck and have a great vacation.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
2. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

Hi Swaptrex,

I do hope you get upgraded to the GM. The MP or what's left of it is pretty tired looking and a bit of a trek to either the pool or the beach.

The GM is a very nice place and has a great pool area. There are also a couple of restaurants right in the complex but they are expensive for anyone one on a budget. There is a place called Eddys down by the marina. They have good food and reasonable prices. There are other places in the area if you are into exploring. If you don't mind preparing your own meals, the suites at the GM have pretty good kitchen facilities. Do your grocery shopping at Mega or Walmart.

You will find the staff at the GM to be great and very helpful. If they offer you a free introductory breakfast, run as fast as you can in the other direction. It's the prelude to the "Time Share" pitch by a ruthless and relentless sales team.

The only drawback I found to the GM was that it was a bit isolated. That's not a bad thing but it does make for a bit of a trek into town and the cab fares can start to add up. There is a reliable transit service that you can catch at the entrance.

Good Luck and have a great vacation

Miami, Florida
3. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

Thanks for the replies so far! So, would anyone recommend a different GM, like Cabo for instance, due to the construction? It doesn't seem like there is a good way to get opinions on which resort is best, other than going to each separate forum.

I have been to the Riviera Maya and Acapulco Mayan before so I'd rather try another.

Any tips on getting an upgrade to GM when I call to make the reservation as an owner. Also, I forget, how much is the maintenance fee for the week?

Edited: 9:32 am, September 17, 2012
Gull Lake, Mi
reviews: 10
4. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

I have not been to the one in Cabo but I have heard it's very nice. Maybe not a swimmable beach if that matters to you.

Fort Wayne, IN
reviews: 55
5. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

If you are strictly looking at Mayan Palace and want to try a new property other than RM and Acapulco. I would definitely consider the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta. It is a small quaint property. But the big advantage is it is 100 yards from the marina. Which has many (20+) restaurants, along with little shops, etc. There is constantly activity (people watching) with boats & fishermen coming and going.

It is an older resort, but it is extremely well maintained. You are also a lot closer to the Malecon (still a taxi ride, but about 1/2 fare compared to Nuevo Vallarta). One time we even walked to the Wal-mart (about 2 miles) for some groceries, and took a taxi back.

Vancouver
reviews: 1
6. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

The Grand Mayan in San Jose Del Cabo is awesome. I was there in April of this year. Very unique. Has balconys with the plunge pools. Great place. If that interests you, go for it. Don't think you'll be dissapointed. Pools are insane.

Miami, Florida
7. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

Thanks so far everyone. The woman on the phone said that, if we chose Nuevo (which is what I am leaning toward), we could visit the PV MP any day to check out the resort. Has anyone done this?

ca
8. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

I would also like update at Grand Luxxe, about construction and anything else we need to know. Also what weather will be like the week of 9/29

Fort Wayne, IN
reviews: 55
9. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

If you stay in Nuevo, and visit PV Mayan Palace for the day, you can actually charge drinks/food around the pool to your room back @ Nuevo. I guess you could make it a day trip, then go out for dinner @ the Marina before heading back.

Long Island, New...
reviews: 91
10. Re: Who has been to the Mayan Palace?

Book the Mayan Palace for Nuevo Vallarta and you will get the Grand Mayan. The MP in NV is closed and will be for who knows how long? The buildings are gutted (I was at the complex at the end of August).

There are several excellent choices a short walk away from the GM in NV (Eddies, 8 Tostadas, Por Que No, Porto Bello). The GM has the best pool complex.

The MP in the marina is dated (narrow darker halls, smaller pools and beach), but being near the marina and all its restaurants is a big plus, and a short bus ride to PV.

The Grand Mayan near San Jose del Cabo is very nice, good restaurants in either direction which you can walk to or take the (school bus looking) frequently passing buses. Getting to Cabo San Lucas is a longer and more expensive trip than Nuevo Vallarta to Puerto Vallarta.

If I had never been to any of the above, I would choose the MP in NV and take the GM that they will give you as a bonus.

Edited: 11:32 am, September 20, 2012