We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Jalisco or Marival

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WI
reviews: 2
Riu Jalisco or Marival

We are 2 couples in our 30's looking for a fun, nice clean resort with some fun day and night activties. any info about these hotels or do's and don'ts would be great. We are leaning toward the Riu because I have heard that the Marival was more family related.

Thank you for your help

Chris

Iowa
1. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

My husband and I stayed at the Riu last February...and LOVED it! We're getting ready to go back to Puerto Vallarta this February and decided on the Marival just because I too thought it sounds a bit more kid friendly...we're taking our 12 and 14 year old kids this year. I would highly recommend the Riu Jalisco for both couples and families as there are activities for younger kids but there is also a sense of elegance about the resort! The beach near the Riu is beautiful for long walks and the staff were very friendly. We're hoping to love the Marival as much.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
reviews: 62
2. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

Both are in Nuevo(new) Vallarta and both have A1 beach.

Marival pools are set closer to the beach, so you can go from beach to ocean in a few steps, where Rui pool seem a long distance. Marival had charged for drinks in Disco. but I believe this has changed. Rui is newer,only 2-3year old,and Hugh.

London Ont Can
reviews: 1
3. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

Captain.....my wife and myself just got back(Jan19) from the Marival....it's a fantastic resort....but it does have alot of families....and alot of 50+ couples....but there's lots to do....I haven't been to the Riu....but either place is a good 25 mins from PV...so the only clubs are at the resorts....Marival's disco was lame but drinks are free....if you want nightlife you have to go into PV.....there's a hotspot near the Walmart at the Marina..alittle closer then downtown..can't remember the name but it's where the staff at the hotel would go on there day off...something like lips or lives...there also the clubs in PV

Saskatoon
4. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

I have stayed at both the RIU and the Marival. I early 30s as well. There is no contest. RIU wins hands down. The Marival is nice, everything was decent enough. But the RIU really impressed. Better food, spectacular grounds, better service, overall just a nicer place. I am going back to PV again this spring and am staying at the RIU again.

Also the RIU has in room liquor and safe. The Marival does not.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

The Marival does have a safe - just no mini bar.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 7
6. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

We have also stayed at both resorts and we'd pick the Marival over the Riu. One reason, we liked the free bikes available; two the location of the resort has better bus service to either Paradise village center and also into P.V. (the Riu runs on a bus schedule, whereas the buses are pretty frequent for the Marival). Three the adults pool is nicely heated and a nice quiet area. Both beaches are great. The a la carte restuarants at the Marival are very good or at least we thought so. The Riu has a better selection of food at their buffets though, and the grounds are beautiful. Both resorts are very clean. Either one - both are good properties.

chicago
reviews: 1
7. Re: Riu Jalisco or Marival

hi Chris-

I have stayed only at the marival but i spent three months in puerto vallarta this summer and im pretty familiar with the area. I have stayed at the marival couple of times now for the past 3 years and have had family stay at the Riu as well. If you are looking for class, luxury, good food, but not so crazy of a day at the pool awith ctivities and all then i would say go and stay at the Riu. Really beautiful hotel, newer, and alittle quieter.

As for the Marival, it did get remodeled recently and changed to suites (club side). The restaurants got upgraded as well and have received a new menu. The animation is loud, fun, and crazy. Every night they put on some form of entertainment...Grease show, 70's 80's , Tropical, Disney, mexican fiesta, ideal couple show, etc...all done by the animation staff themselves. You really get to know the kids during the day and then they make your stay even more enjoyable at night. Yes, they work from morning until late evening to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. also they have a disco that now got switched to an all-inclusive disco as well and the drinks are free. As for the rooms, obviosuly the new ones (suites club) are new and beautiful and the grand side is also pretty clean and big. Overall, i've always had a good experience with the hotel and ahve gotten to know many of the employees and they are always allll sooooo nice. Hope this helps!!